Wayward Fledgling Return

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dcronwell
Martin Colony History: Panama City, FL
2024 - 12 gourds - 12 nests - 61 eggs - 45 fledged
- Single pole 6 over 6; (4) SG R; (2) TH C; (3) TV C; (3) TV R
2023 - 12 gourds - 9 nests - 42 eggs - 36 fledged
- Single pole 6 over 6; (4) SG R; (2) TH C; (2) TV C; (2) TV R; (2) natural gourds R
2022 - 12 gourds - 11 nests - 54 eggs - 30 fledged (raccoon attack mid-season)
- Single pole 6 over 6; (4) SG R; (4) TV C; (2) TV R; (2) old Heath one piece R
2021 - 10 gourds - 4 nests - 18 eggs - 15 fledged
- Single pole 6 over 4; (4) SG R; (2) TV C; (4) TV R
2020 - (6) SG R gourds - first year; no nests but did see investigators
2018 - Hurricane Michael tore down many trees to open up habitat - set up array Feb 2020

A couple years ago I had a fledgling from a different gourd return after a couple nights to a gourd that still had five babies in it. I guess he didn't like having to work for his food. The fledgling was dominating the other babies after a couple days and I, against my wife's protestations, intervened. I lowered the rack, took out the fledgling, gave him a good talking to, and released him (yep, he escaped during a nest check...). He didn't come back and all the babies that belonged in the gourd did just fine and fledged a week or so later.

Two weeks ago I had the same thing happen. Another lazy (smart?) fledgling took up residence in my only SY pair's gourd with their five babies. The SYs got a late start and were the only pair still feeding babies; all the rest had fledged. Again, after a couple or three days I noticed that the babies were not able to stop the fledgling from bogarting 90% of the food delivered by the SY pair. The first day that I noticed I just hoped for the best.
The second day I walked up to the rack every time I saw the fledgling go into the gourd and he flew away, but that cat and mouse game got old fast because the fledgling was winning. So again this year, I intervened and did a nest check to give the fledgling the same lecture and sent him on his way. Only problem was that two of the five babies were obviously stunted due to a likely three days without food. The SY pair's babies finally fledged on Fathers' Day, except only three flew. I found one stunted baby dead on the ground and the other dead in the nest.

Just wondering, is this common? Happened in my small colony twice in three years.
Phil01
Martin Colony History: 34 Cavities offered.
24 unit gourd rack with Troyer Horizontal and Vertical Gourds. Sunset Inn aluminum house with 4 Troyer Horizontal Gourds.

2020- 1 pair, 4 eggs, fledged 3
2021- 3 pair, 15 eggs, fledged 8
2022- 5 pair, 26 eggs, fledged 21
2023- 10 pair, 53 eggs, fledged 27

PMCA Member

That’s very interesting, some smart fledglings getting free meals! I’ve never had that happen here as far as I have noticed. I’ve seen them nudge past birds on the porch to get to the entrance to feed their babies or go inside to feed. Have seen fledglings land on the porches, opening their mouths begging for food a bunch, very cute to watch.
Phil
PMCA member
Fernandina Beach, FL
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Damn, sorry that this happened to your martins.. to your point, I’ve seen exactly what Phil describes all the time. But I’ve never had a flying fledgling return to an active nest, that isn’t his, go in, and hog the food from smaller chicks in that nest. In fact I’ve observed just the opposite. Every year, I see Parents of those nests, very aggressively chase off fledglings that get too close or curious , about entering their compartments. I’ve even seen the parents grab and pull these fledglings off their porches. The fledglings learn fast not to try that again. Hope it all works out well!
Good luck!
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
2022- 33 pair. 151 fledged
2023- 33 pair. 165 fledged
2024- 40 pair.
HOSP: 52 Starlings: 29
Home colony: mix natural, super, Troyer and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 36 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with troyer tunnels and enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
2022: 11 pair, 35 fledged
2023: 18 pair, 101 fledged
2024: 39 pair,
PMCA member

Well no kidding. Porch dividers on a house protect against that, but never witnessed what you described. Bet its more common than we think.
What Rob describes is what iv seen here. I do remember one fledge land on the house porch and make his way over to the entrance and get a few dragonflies from the adults. Never in the cavity as far as I'm aware. Pretty interesting!
A good house sparrow is a dead house sparrow.
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total.
6 fledges.

2021: 9 pair, 47 eggs
36 hatchlings
30 fledged

2022: about 12 pairs.. many eggs, all fledged.. only had one hatchling die.. probably because of our schnauzer. :(

2023: 16 pairs. So far about 60 chicks with about a dozen eggs to go. :)

I’ve had this happen a couple times that I was able to see.. fledglings arriving at evening and scurrying into anything they could to escape the wrath of adults hassling them. I assumed they departed the next morning Never noticed any ill effects tho.