Web cam and gazbophil.com MITES

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Martin man RI

I cannot watch this any more the birds are covered with mites I emailed
them and they have done nothing. In a week those little ones with jump.
They are not sleeping its impossible with all the mites. This is how you can tell you are in trouble and have mites. Its a good example and i wonder what
the other gourds look like. They are going to have a major disaster if the
dont clean the nest or treat the nest. Its sad to watch and this goes on
all the time. I would jump if i were them. I hope something is done soon.
Imagine your hand in that nest and how many bugs you would have on it.
One or two ok but the birds are covered. Poor little martins and the parents
are not in the gourd too. Another bad sign.
Ray
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

maybe someone with the PMCA who has some contacts can call someone.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
Peggy Riley

Can't open his website. Is that Phil Donahue's colony? Surely not.

This is exactly the reason I don't watch webcam. If I can't control things I go nuts!!
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair
DAVE

Call Your Health Dept. and report it. I did and it worked. These are Protected Birds
Dave
Matt F.

Ray,
They either did something to treat the mites, or I'm just not seeing them.
I just got done watching them for a while, and saw normal conditions.
I few feather lice crawling around here and there, but nothing abnormal.
JL Murray

He could have been gone on Vacation or something too considering the time of year it is and had no idea anyone sent a message he has always been very caring of his Martin's IMHO!
Martin man RI

The camera is running slow now. Hope for the best. And it easy to become protective of Martins when you manage so many. If there are mites I am sure they will address the issue.
If they have not already.
--Ray
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

I saw many bugs crawling on these chicks. Several lice on one chicks head/face alone, many mites crawling thru the nesting material. These poor chicks are scratching & picking constantly.

Momma came in to feed them while I watched.

Hope they get this nest treated soon. Sad to let them suffer.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
TX Rehabber

I was disgusted when I saw this last year, e-mailed them and no response. It is so pitiful that these babies have to live in these horrible conditions. Just looked at the web cam again and the mites are crawling everywhere and these babies don't get a moments peace or rest.
Penny Halstead
Rogers Wildlife Rehabilitation Center
972-225-4000

LANDLORD BY PROXY
State & Federal Sub-permitted Rehabilitator
2009 - Received 150 Nestlings/Fledglings for Rehab Released: 102
2011 - Received 173 Nestlings/Fledglings/Adults for Rehab Released: 133
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

With his cash supply, you think he could afford to hire someone to manage it!! Just saying!!
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Amen, Tony. :wink:

Just checked - looks like they're getting a heck of a storm there right now. Don't understand why they don't at least check their emails. :cry:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2023 - 82 pair
2022 - 80 pair
2021 - 75 pair
2020 - 78 pair
2019 - 80 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
GeneP
Martin Colony History: 1 gourd rack with 24 gourd capacity. 2018, my 11th year hosting martins.
18 pair in 2017.

They do have a conservation technician. This used to be on the website:l

Q: I am a wildbird rehabilitator in Kentucky and have noticed some mite like insects crawling around the birds. Are they on the birds or on the camera lens? Most of our rehab birds arrive with mites and we do treat them but in the case of your Martins that would not be feasible because of the volume and location of the birds. -- Ginger R., Union,KY

A: There are a few mites in a handful of our gourds, but the problem is not overly significant. We also do not have blowflies or any other dangerous parasites. With the advanced age of most of the chicks there is no need to change any nests, a step we would only take if there was a large problem or if we noted mortality due to the mites. It is a very isolated problem, thankfully.

Scott Kruitbosch - Conservation Technician

---------
John Tautin, Executive Director of the PMCA worked with Donahue getting this colony started.

My personal feeling is that anyone with this amount of influence should be practicing all the suggested guidelines of the PMCA. Especially when the Executive Director has had a hand in things.

Possibly millions will see this colony and follow this practice. More people will probably see this cam then will ever read what the PMCA teaches. And even fewer will read a forum.

Sorry, this particular issues has bothered me for some reason. Enough ranting.
PMCA Member, Single Gourd Rack, 2019 marks 12 years hosting martins.
Davlyn

If they don't do something I believe these baby's may jump ! I looked tonight and they are crawling with mites .
April McClelland

PMCA Member
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Just observed this site...what a sad state of affairs with what's going on inside that gourd..adult is covered with mites and they crawling all over the camera lens..shame shame shame on you Phil!!!!
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
Martin man RI

It looks like the rack is infested not just one gourd its gotten worst.
I live two hours away if i knew his address i would go there my self.
I emailed Milian Bull he works for CT Audubon and is very compassionate
about saving Martins if anyone can help Milian can. They may have older chicks and if they lower the rack birds will start to spill out and will be a real
disaster. You can see the mites better at night the chicks cannot sit still
they want out and i dont blame them. Poor little Martins. This is every martin landlords worst nightmare unfolding. And weather the next week
Hot and humid low 90's trouble is on the way. Milian is on vacation til
July 21. Bad news and i figured this too.
----Ray
apundt-TX
Martin Colony History: :
2022-1 pair
1 pair 2021
2020- Didn't get setup fast enough in Pflugerville
2019- Apartment
2018 Divorce lost Colony in Dripping Springs
19 pair 2017
17 pair 2015
12 pair 2014
8 pair 2013
5 pair 2012
2 pair 2011

I looked up the owner of the website and got some information for a contact for you.
http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/r ... bophil.com
PMCA member
racks:CUE AAA-16, PMCA Multipurpose pole , S&K EZ-Lift, Lonestar/Songbird Essentials, CUE 12 gourd rack
gourds: S&K gourds, Supergourds, Troyer horizontals, Naturalines, few naturals
housing: S&K great 8, TRIO M12K, Coates/BirdsChoice 8 room wateresdge
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I just can't even look...

I would find and trespass with several containers of Sevin. If fledglings jump, what's the difference? Ever have hives all over and cannot find relief? I have.

If you don't "believe" in Sevin (which is the easiest thing ever) then turn off Big Brother and do some nest changes!

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
John Miller

Ray

I hope you can call the PMCA and volunteer for this, if they can coordinate.

John Miller
Martin man RI

Milian emailed me so i hope they are going to work on this. He said they used that diatomaceous earth last week on the colony. Well i guess that stuff
dont work. Time for the real deal before to late. Time is running out.
Nothing more that can be done. They know now. Some people are not comfortable with Sevin. Oh well I tried.
----Ray
Peggy Riley

Ray, you tried, thanks. DE is bad for the lungs. It looks like dust but its really little sharp particles. It'd be a real killer if not done correctly. I know it's an old remedy and I used it once on my donkeys 16 years ago.
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair