Baby/Fledgling vocalizations

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total.
6 fledges.

2021: 9 pair, 47 eggs
36 hatchlings
30 fledged

2022: about 12 pairs.. many eggs, all fledged.. only had one hatchling die.. probably because of our schnauzer. :(

2023: 16 pairs. So far about 60 chicks with about a dozen eggs to go. :)

The nestlings and fledglings have that very early “Peep peep” sound (or “cheep-cheep”)… and this type chirp makes it easy to spot fledglings as the fly around with other adults.

About how long does it take for them to develop adult vocal pattern- that signature PM sounds? Does it happen before migration? Or does it develop at some point in Brazil/South America? I think about this often.

Have ornithologists ever observed the newly young , first time migrators “cheep cheeping” in S America?
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Interesting question.. from my observations, the fledglings still only have the “chirp chirp” vocalizations, at the time of departure for their first migration, back to Brazil. They obviously develope adult vocalizations sometime between departure and their return, next season.. exactly when that is, is a very interesting question…I’m guessing that their vocalizations probably mature with the beginning of the development of their mature feather patterns, but that’s just a guess..
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2023, 81 pair with 350 fledged youngsters. 106 total cavities available, 82 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit Iowa Purple Martin Organization on Facebook. Emails send to [email protected]. Subject line include Iowa Purple Martin.

Good point Martintown. I'm also thinking it may occur during their feather color change and or their first molting during the trip back to Brazil.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total.
6 fledges.

2021: 9 pair, 47 eggs
36 hatchlings
30 fledged

2022: about 12 pairs.. many eggs, all fledged.. only had one hatchling die.. probably because of our schnauzer. :(

2023: 16 pairs. So far about 60 chicks with about a dozen eggs to go. :)

Very interesting.. thanks! if I had to guess it is probably while way down south in the Americas and at the time they do that first molt as well.