Mites

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
pleaseeemailme

Curious what to use for mites if needed.
Garden tech makes a .1% and 5% Sevin insect killer product. I also see a product called Diatomaceous Earth which is a safer product for the birds. Please advise of recommendations and application. TY!
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: 60 gourds
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair-5
2022- 5 pair-20
2023 34 pair-44
2024 39 pair-TBD

Here is the link on this site. It's under the tab Purple Martin and open up nest checks. It also has some good advice in the pdf articles drilling down further concerning PMCA recommendations for mites and how to treat if infected.
https://www.purplemartin.org/purple-mar ... st-checks/

You'll read the PMCA does not endorse Sevin and advises against DE as well. Many can attest that if you have a mite infection then it's better to attack it than let the birds suffer, jump, and/or perish possible. I'll leave it there and I'm certain many can give you their testimony to their use of Sevin as a preventative and treatment if you're nest are infected. Happy reading and good luck to you in eliminating the mites. I'd strongly recommend a mask and gloves if you go with either, as Sevin is a pretty nasty proven carcinogen. In the end I'd recommend doing your research...for me if mites were all over the gourds I'd treat with Sevin and a nest change with a good wipe down as recommended in the above reading.
"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." - Lao Tzu
flyin-lowe

I have used Seven for many years and never noticed an ill affects. Typically I place a small amount under the edge of each nest before the earliest eggs are due to hatch. As long as your nests stay mostly dry this will keep the mites at bay long enough for them to fledge. If I were you I would place a small amount of whichever version of Seven you can get under the nests and the mites will likely be gone in a day or two as they will crawl through it. I haven't looked at the new version of Seven but someone else on here posted a thread earlier that it contains Bifenthrin which is a very common and safe pesticide. It is one of the few that is able to be used in restaurants etc.
2024 HOSP count-26
2023 60+ pair, HOSP count-8
2022 60 nests with 262 eggs, HOSP count-14
2021 62 nest fledged aprox. 230, HOSP count-9
2020 42 nest, Fledged 164, HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair 14 fledged.
Conrad Baker

Diatomaceous earth might be safer in the sense that it doesn't contain any "poison" to kill the pests, but studies have shown it is dangerous when the birds inhale it into their lungs. That usually occurs when the adults or young birds flap their wings in the compartment and the dust swirls around and is inhaled. Judicious use of the Sevin is what I use. I usually sprinkle some in the house when I am putting the housing up at the beginning of the season. Two weeks after the birds arrive, I will do a nest check and put about 1/4 teaspoon under each nest. I treat again after eggs are laid, but before they hatch. I try to keep an eye on the nests after they hatch, and don't disturb them too much unless I see mites. If I see any, I sprinkle a small amount under the nests being careful not to get any in the nest or near the babies.
pleaseeemailme

Thx all for your responses. In regards to the Sevin, would you recommend the .1% or 5% ? Also I take it that you are using the dust?
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Use the 5% sevin dust. If you don’t have mites, but want to use for prevention, put a small amount…I use about 1/8 to 1/4 of tsp.. no more than that is needed.. put it UNDER the nest, on the sides or front, not the back (since that is where the young chicks spend most of their time), and smear it around a bit. My goal , when using it, is to keep the martins from making direct contact with it, but the mites will find it, under the nest.. I wouldn’t use DT earth,… as others have said, it can become airborne an enter their lungs… not good..
good luck,
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La