How to phase out old housing?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
AndyShutterbug
Martin Colony History: 2013 Heath hexagon 12 cavity...no birds
2014 T14 added. Couple of visitors only.
2015 Four birds? At least one pair? 5 eggs in three different cavities! Abandoned.
2016 Heath house not put up. Only visitors.
2017 Only visitors
2018 No activity
2019 Visitors 20May only
2020 Visitor 22May, 3 birds suddenly 20Jun!?
2021 Nothing
2022 Sudden flurry 04Jun. Pair hanging out. High hopes!
2023 Few visitors. Disappointing...then moved from this house.

First a quick update: At the local nature center I've put up a new T14 with 4 gourds (all Conley II entrances) in an area a bit farther from human structures than "guideline". However, the area is ideal for feeding and there are occasional walkers past the new box (in addition to my long visits). They have had an old martin house up for a few years and thought that they were seeing birds nesting. The good news is that they were correct. Martins are in the area. Unfortunately, as of today, the darn birds are choosing to nest in the old Heath PH-12 house which has round holes and small compartments. When I got to the site this morning, I immediately noticed that a martin was inside one compartment of the T14. Then I was shocked to see that the bird was struggling and apparently couldn't leave. Instead of racing to drop the box, I watched for a couple of minutes and filmed the occasional struggle to document it. After a number of attempts, the bird did get out. Surprisingly, another bird struggled out after it! They flew away and I didn't see them back. I did see one male spending a lot of time casing the joint. However, in almost 2 hrs, he only entered one cavity. I really wonder if the SREH are too much of a change for birds who might be used to round holes. There don't seem to be any starlings in this particular area, but that could easily change.

I observed a pair of birds landing on a low berm in the marsh where at least the female picked up some stuff. They were returning to the Heath box. Maybe making a mud dam?

I did lower the T-14 briefly to make an upgrade. I've installed an old cell phone with a big external battery in one compartment. I've copied the dawnsong and chatter CDs onto that device and I'm using them as the tune played for daily alarms. I've had to set the alarms to "auto-cancel" after the max of 25 min. So I set oodles of alarms throughout the early hours and the day (using dawnsong or chatter as appropriate). This cellphone is just loud enough to keep the birds looking at the box. It wouldn't pull them down from the skies I figure, but that's what the existing birds in the area are for! ;)

Any thoughts on getting the birds to take to the new box even though it's harder to get in? I can't touch the Heath box this year. I'd be a little afraid to remove it next year. Maybe those birds would move on instead of taking to the new house? I think I need to eliminate that house because it's bound to have a lower success rate. Anyone have suggestions?

As always, your expertise and experience is appreciated.

Andy
AndyShutterbug
Central Michigan
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Hi Andy. It can be a bit of a chore getting your martins to switch to your new housing. They are creatures of habit, and don’t like to change things up quickly. The round holes in the older house are easy for the martins to enter and exit, and will probably make it even more difficult to get them to use the sreh in the t14. They don’t know that they are more at risk from starlings in the round hole compartments. What you could try, is to gradually change the old house entrances to sreh, using sreh mounting plates. With both houses having sreh, the martins couldnt take the easy route and use only the round holes. They will still choose the old house, with sreh, at first, but may gradually start to use the t14, once they realize the entrances are the same, but the t14 has deeper, safer compartments. I wouldn’t change them all at once though. I’m sure others on here will have lots of valuable advice that I’m not thinking of..
Good luck
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
defed
Martin Colony History: :
2022 - 1 pair, 5E, 4H, 4F
2023 - 2 pair, 9E, 5H, 5F

i was going to say to add sreh to the old house. once they have eggs, make the change. at least that's the recommendation i've seen. once they have eggs, they will figure it out rather than abandon....though i suppose it will be a nerve wracking experience nonetheless.
AndyShutterbug
Martin Colony History: 2013 Heath hexagon 12 cavity...no birds
2014 T14 added. Couple of visitors only.
2015 Four birds? At least one pair? 5 eggs in three different cavities! Abandoned.
2016 Heath house not put up. Only visitors.
2017 Only visitors
2018 No activity
2019 Visitors 20May only
2020 Visitor 22May, 3 birds suddenly 20Jun!?
2021 Nothing
2022 Sudden flurry 04Jun. Pair hanging out. High hopes!
2023 Few visitors. Disappointing...then moved from this house.

Thank you for the input. Unfortunately, the old Heath box is on a "pivot-up" pole. So I'm locked into what the nature center has mounted up there this year. Hopefully some resilient birds choose to move into the T14 this year despite its more difficult SREHs. I will ask to make modifications to the old box for next year. I want to see if the box can be modified to to have six doubled compartments instead of the current 12 smaller ones. I may change half of the entrances for next year so I don't end up excluding the experienced birds who may be stubborn. I suppose once the site had birds nesting in SREH cavities, the following year could be a full transition. The adapted birds should return and the stubborn ones might stay and learn by example. I just hope some push into the T14 this year. I just don't know if I can do any more to encourage it.

Who knew bird husbandry could be so nerve wracking!?

Thanks,
Andy
AndyShutterbug
Central Michigan
John Miller

Andy,

Hang in there. Starlings may find the new house if you switch to round holes because they will like the deep compartments. Starlings most of the time don't nest in 6 x 6 units. ...make sure your new entrances are to spec -- 1 3/16 high. Thank you for working to improve the public housing.