Martin #2 comes in.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Yesterday evening about 7:15 Buddy swooped in for the night. But low and behold a second Martin was in the sky celebrating his arrival.

He checked out his gourd on the top of the neighboring Gemini Rack and then took to the sky and called out loudly and fed until almost dark.

So Buddy is no longer all alone. His solitary 16 days are over. I got him though another March of terrible weather. He may be 12 years old but it is unlikely he would have survived 10 of them.

This morning was pouring rain and it will rain all day with temps in the upper 40s. Yesterday hit 65 and was a good day to feed finally.

The two of them ate a bunch of crickets in the rain this morning and it's nice to have another one back. Soon many more will follow.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in Western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. The colony has grown quickly to 45 pairs that I care for. Many new colonies have now sprung up around me in the past few years as well. Where there was none.... there is many.