2024 season, David, Broussard La

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total.
6 fledges.

2021: 9 pair, 47 eggs
36 hatchlings
30 fledged

2022: about 12 pairs.. many eggs, all fledged.. only had one hatchling die.. probably because of our schnauzer. :(

2023: 16 pairs. So far about 60 chicks with about a dozen eggs to go. :)

I’m going to use this spot to document my 2024 season.. I’ll make regular posts throughout the season - especially as the season advances to nesting - and I’ll try to make more frequent posts: reporting on nest checks, uploading videos, etc.

This is mainly a log for myself, and maybe it will help new landlords a bit. Keep in mind - I’m no expert in the field of ornithology, especially where Purple Martins are concerned; I’m just a landlord involved in the hobby and have been doing this since 2009 (est) while in Slidell (and currently in Broussard La) since July 2014

My gourd rack is located a very short distance off of W Main Street in Broussard (in the downtown area). My colony has been active about 4 years- 2020 was the first season where I had occupants since trying to start the colony in 2015.

At this time, I have a 16 ct gourd rack.. but one arm has a 4 cavity house. So all in all it is 18 cavity rack.

Last year (2023) was by far the best season - 16 pairs and about 70 eggs.

Let’s see what happens in 2024.
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

2022: about 12 pairs.. many eggs, all fledged.. only had one hatchling die.. probably because of our schnauzer. :(

02 February: 2 ASY males flying around the house for most of the morning and then landing on the gourd rack and investigating cavities. 2024 season starts up. :)

https://youtu.be/wiS1mdsbOFk?si=sNvTSleClsVD2I8T

https://youtu.be/hRupcykvGMQ?si=uXlY1moUfiIo2OJt

05 Feb: looks like we’re up to 5 martins - 3 males and a female. Lots of morning activity.

13 Feb: 7 martins for past couple days. 2 or 3 females— it seems like at least two are paired up with males as both go into same cavity at night.
Video of last night’s return:

https://youtu.be/tQfPswdd-Pg?si=KP93WeH6QYBMGLpd

Weather has been mostly mild since 02 Feb arrivals. Last week we had a fairly warm week with mostly sunshine.

This week starts off much cooler in the morning, but sunny and mild temps (50s and 60s) during PM. The next week to 10 days looks to be more mild than frigid. Only a couple days of rain forecast.
SSMartin

Following along.
brent

I’m following along too. Good idea. It’ll be a good way for me to compare what’s going on here. Brent
Brent
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

16 Feb. 8-10 martins.

Mix of males and females. Predominantly males.

Two males in particular have been fighting quite a bit.. they get tangled up and a couple of times go to the ground. This afternoon they were fighting inside a chirpynest box and I thought for sure one was trapped. The box was bouncing around and I could hear a lot of wing action. One seemed to be having an issue getting away, so I thought I should check. Crazy.

Lowered the rack, and they were both quiet and neither would leave. They are adamant about claiming that spot. Neither will budge. LoL.

Raised the pole and both flew off.

Video 1- You can kinda see the fighting on the ChirpyNest half hidden by the pole.

https://youtu.be/M-k8JdygCFs?si=pp-o3FL41Tevrqdx

Video 2 - a look inside, all seems ok.

https://youtu.be/nGm-libO6ms?si=cnuqJU_0sRZi2BVG

I’ve never opened a cavity up this early and had two males refusing to leave.. have only had this happen when male or female were incubating later in the season.

Drizzly weather today. Overcast. Cool.
Temps will be dropping the next few days, but will be sunny and not overly cold. Mild afternoons.
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

32F this morning.. but very sunny. Temps were mid 50s in the PM. I counted 11 coming in tonight.

Another cold morning tomorrow.. 32F but a bit warmer- 60ish.

I have a mix of males and females.. some definitely are paired off. Shot a video this evening.. at the end, a male is perched on upper deck of house. He eventually went inside, followed by a female in same compartment. :)

They seem to be a healthy group. Very vocal.

Video:
https://youtu.be/uzlacm8OvQg?si=PKhSdbGPzNHBET2E

The next few days will be very nice, gradually warming.. looks like we’ll finish out Feb without any super freezing mornings. Fingers crossed.

Bluebirds about 20 yds away are building a nest in their box.
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

Spotted 11 (maybe 12 ) coming in for the night. Kinda cool at sunset. Was very sunny today.. high on the 60s .. Gonna be one more cold morning tomorrow.. 31 or 32. But much warmer tomorrow- about 70. Rest of the week continues to look outstanding.

Had a Hawk swoop by this morning— (separate post on this ). It looked to be a Cooper’s Hawk or something very similar, it had a long tail. Definitely wasn’t a red tail hawk. Not sure if he got a martin.. I don’t think so. He zoomed through just a few feet from the rack.. a lot of martins where perched on gourds, the house and arms.. the hawk didn’t slow down, or swerve.. just a straight line past the housing and then was gone. If he did get a martin, I didn’t see it. Most all the martins took off to the sky and were gone quite a while.. but there were one or two Martins that remained inside of the cavities, I could hear them chirping away lol.

That hawk may have been going after a bird a few yards down where I commonly see doves perched because somebody puts out some feed. Hard to know for sure.
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

I was able to get a really good headcount this evening as they were flying in for the night: a total of 12. Most seem to be paired up.

Another day of blue skies. Morning temp: 40f .. Hi 73f. Beautiful.. and the next few days keep warming. No rain forecasted for a quite a few days.
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

Feb 24: About 14 purple martins now. Most are paired up. Weather has been fantastic. Mid 70 temps past few days and similar temps next few days.

Short video of Purple Martins coming in tonight.

https://youtu.be/VhyZzpjzZEg?si=R6qKGmzVtCW8qeBC

Also: Bluebirds building a nest in my backyard box. 4 BB eggs laid at my dad’s location
malbin

Thanks for posting your video. It's really nice and looks like your off to a good start!. I'm located in Wichita, Ks and they haven't made it up here yet. Thanks and best wishes for a great season!
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

malbin wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:07 am
Thanks for posting your video. It's really nice and looks like your off to a good start!. I'm located in Wichita, Ks and they haven't made it up here yet. Thanks and best wishes for a great season!
Thanks! Best of luck to you as well.. it won’t be long.. there’s been a couple KS spottings, … at any moment you should see them.
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

Yesterday was a great day.. it clouded up quite a bit and temps jumped to mid 70s. There was lots of purple martin activity most of the morning, including a bit of fighting between two males.

As for maintenance I lowered the rack around 9 am and checked all cavities.. just to make sure all is well. Note: those oval lids on the SK gourds are such a pain to remove.. I’m thinking about applying some sort of product around the outer edges of the Hole in order to make removing the lids a bit easier (like silicone lube?).

A male HS was investigating the gourd rack but was taken out by an air rifle. No PMs were around at the moment. Have only had a couple HS over the past month. All have been taken care of by .177 method

The day before I was shooting a short video of the martins when a Mockingbird flew into the video and snatched a crane fly.. pretty cool. The martins couldn’t care less. Running the video in frame by frame is interesting - the mockingbird bird does some impressive maneuvering to snatch that little insect from a gourd. (Mockingbird at :45 sec point)
Video: https://youtu.be/QoSG4qFpTWU?si=l0lvLgO8HkeLkhtE
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

good weather overall.. a bit cloudy and cool yesterday but by evening- clouds were clearing out and the sun made a nice appearance. The rest of week keeps warming up. Not much rain forecasted.

Nearly 20 martins were swirling around the backyard just prior to coming in. There are definitely new occupants in the house and a couple of gourds. Looks like a big increase over past couple days.

And Two Bluebird eggs in the box nearby.

Video- very boisterous group!

https://youtu.be/7DFiqUgFR00?si=Ms-2CbxKsftdjC_E
Thomas Maddox

Those S&K gourds have an adapter for oval lid converting it to round with a screw on cap. The kit + cap is only 2-3$. The problem is that they are currently out of stock. I've been waiting to purchase a few. Keep the updates coming!
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

Thomas Maddox wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:18 pm
Those S&K gourds have an adapter for oval lid converting it to round with a screw on cap. The kit + cap is only 2-3$. The problem is that they are currently out of stock. I've been waiting to purchase a few. Keep the updates coming!
Yes! Was just thinking I’d do the conversion.: but might end replacing these with either sone of the newer SK gourds or maybe ChirpyNest.. not really sure yet. Thanks :)
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

Today was crazy.. it was like a swarm of Purple Martins around the gourd racks this afternoon.. I couldn’t really count them accurately, but it seemed to be 20 or more.

Lots of fighting between males.. even high in the air I’d spot them fighting.

Around 4pm it was like a frenzy.. Many would swirl around the yard, then swoop down and land on the gourds, lots of chattering. Then they’d all takeoff, swirl around the house a few more times, and land again. It was on and off like this for quite a while.

Most of the compartments are picked out now. I hardly have any spaces left, so I think that might be why all the fighting is going on.

Here’s a few videos:

https://youtu.be/lW01MQoix5E?si=I7NiPCY43uZljZjg

https://youtu.be/mt-NMQwEVB0?si=CjWdgtJzxZKx7s-I

https://youtu.be/vszf6jWpcrc?si=7nQiJXmEt-yUy0kE
Thomabear

Very nice videos David... I'm seeing the same activity at my home site today. Lots of continuous swirling close by the rack. Just about all the compartments are taken here too. I never seen them fill up that fast. I'm thinking there will be some extra territorial battles when the next wave of martins show up.
2019- 6 Pair, 31 Hatched, 30 Fledged
2020- 8 Pair, 38 Hatched, 32 Fledged
2021- 10 Pair, 51 Hatched, 39 Fledged
HOSP count 130, Starlings 2
2022- 31 Pair, 154 Hatched, 146 Fledged
HOSP count to date 17, Starlings 1
2023- 28 Pair, 128 Hatched, 124 Fledged
HOSP count 47, Starlings 1

PMCA Member
dsonyay

6 fledges.

36 hatchlings
30 fledged

Thomabear wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:07 pm
Very nice videos David... I'm seeing the same activity at my home site today. Lots of continuous swirling close by the rack. Just about all the compartments are taken here too. I never seen them fill up that fast. I'm thinking there will be some extra territorial battles when the next wave of martins show up.
Excellent!!
mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding the last few seasons and have had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

Great to be able to see how far ahead you La.Martin Land Lords are compared to us Ohio Bengal fans! We are hoping for Joe's wrist to heal completely, and we are also hoping that our birds take their time getting to the Ohio River and crossing to make it to Athens ! We always get hit with some very cold weather sometime in March, and have had terrible losses the past 3 springs to severe cold, wet, and no insects for early arrivals to our colonies. Supplemental "Flipping" of live meal worms multiple times a day has saved my Colonies the last three spring seasons. Expensive, time consuming, but fun.....and worth it for sure.

Geaux Joe

Mike "Bird"Wren
Mike "Bird" Wren
Thomas Maddox

Big Burreaux fan also. Hopefully his run of injuries are over.