Modification Heath and Birds choice

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
sonja8582

Hello this is my third or fourth year of providing a Purple Martins housing in my 1/4 acre yard in a subdivision in East Texas. This season I had fair results for survival for nestlings however the temperatures got so severely hot with example a heat index of 125 that I had lots of jumpers that I ended up having to feed and sustain for about three or four days. I am looking into modifying my Heath house for additional ventilation and shade. I have already purchased :
1) shade cloth
2) Polystyrene foam boards
3) spacers

But I need additional help and I’ve looked online but do not see any examples of cooling a heath AH 12D octagon house. I have already reduced the amount of rooms and enlarged them, so now there are only 6 rooms. I elevated the round top with spacers and drilled small holes (less than 1/8 inch) under the eaves. I need more instructions and help. I am hoping someone can give me more specific advise and instructions because the modifications I made did not make a difference using thermostat inside vs outside the house. I also have a birds choice condo and gourds. I won’t be open up the gourds this coming year as they were way too hot and crowded. Most of the jumpers came from gourds. See my video for gourds: https://youtube.com/shorts/KEn_DgYvhRA?feature=share

And both houses in the yard: https://youtube.com/shorts/S7rsEwYhFEw?feature=share

The summer heat is COMPLETELY unshaded as there are no trees on the west side that shade period.

Please help and give me more specifics so I can improve the care I provide. I am also purchasing predator guards though there has been no signs of land predators only aerial (coopers hawk). No feathers or dead birds missing but I think it ate several of the hatchlings in the gourds
2021: 1 pair-2 fledged
2022: 3 pair- 7 fledged
2023:5 pair- 16 fledged
2023: 13 pair- estimated (as of 6/16/24) fledge of 62; first egg laid 4/21/2024
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Hi Sonja. Sounds like you’re having a good start with your vent improvements.. Using 1 inch 90 degree pvc elbow vents help a lot with ventilation .. drill a hole with a “metal spade or hole bit. Slip are screw the elbow vent in, and seal with silicone caulk. Here is a pic of one of my ventilated old s and k houses, also with shade panel affixed to west facing side of house..
B1317DCA-9309-468D-BA7E-23E24CD127E0.jpeg
B1317DCA-9309-468D-BA7E-23E24CD127E0.jpeg (130.53 KiB) Viewed 5474 times
PMCA member
Laplace, La
Unk Bond

Hello Sonja
Quote = I had lots of jumpers that I ended up having to feed and sustain for about three or four days.

Had one umper last year
Could you elaborate a little more on your feed and care Thanks [ Later
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
2022- 33 pair. 151 fledged
2023- 33 pair. 165 fledged
2024- 40 pair.
HOSP: 52 Starlings: 29
Home colony: mix natural, super, Troyer and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 36 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with troyer tunnels and enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
2022: 11 pair, 35 fledged
2023: 18 pair, 101 fledged
2024: 39 pair,
PMCA member

Sonja,
Iv got a heath too. as far as cooling, you could do two things to the roof. drill a hole in the upper most top and insert a 90 degree elbow vent, orient it down, calk it in. Or follow Robs idea of additional spacing. In essence, create a false wall or roof. That will truly cool the cavities. Highly suggest Robs technique on the Birds choice house.
Iv had my heath for a few years, martins love it. Done lots and lots of work on it to make them more comfortable.
It currently has S&K tunnels (crescents), vented roof, even drilled holes in the interior center, covered them with screen to keep out bugs bug give them airflow, and an access cap like a gourd so I can check nests. Put in Trio subfloors too, and made the roof one piece secured with bolts and wing nuts so I can lift it off. But its got one more year and Im tossing it, I think they are too much trouble.
If I may, Id toss those gourds, not being mean just that those gourds are really not safe for martins or chicks. Were I you for a day, Id replace the heath altogether and replace with another birds choice house next season and add walls like Rob suggests, your martins will thank you.
Last summer was brutal, lots and lots of birds starved and perished. Im glad your looking to avoid next summers disasters, this is the right place.
All the best,
Tom
A good house sparrow is a dead house sparrow.
sonja8582

Martintown33 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:49 pm
Hi Sonja. Sounds like you’re having a good start with your vent improvements.. Using 1 inch 90 degree pvc elbow vents help a lot with ventilation .. drill a hole with a “metal spade or hole bit. Slip are screw the elbow vent in, and seal with silicone caulk. Here is a pic of one of my ventilated old s and k houses, also with shade panel affixed to west facing side of house..
B1317DCA-9309-468D-BA7E-23E24CD127E0.jpeg
What are the panels made of?
2021: 1 pair-2 fledged
2022: 3 pair- 7 fledged
2023:5 pair- 16 fledged
2023: 13 pair- estimated (as of 6/16/24) fledge of 62; first egg laid 4/21/2024
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

The panels are cut from pvc wall panel sheets, found at Home Depot. They are used on walls in commercial bathrooms.. Any type of plastic or pvc panels will work. Even pieces of the plastic roof panels used for hot houses.. I used 3/4 inch sections of 1/2 inch diameter pvc pipe for the spacers, used #8 bolts and nuts with fender washers to affix the panels, which will keep the panel secure in strong winds. The outer panel spacing prevents the suns heat from hitting the west (most exposed) side of the house.. the good thing is, if you desire, you can unscrew the nuts, and remove the panels, when it’s still cold for the early arrivals, and when the weather starts to warm up, just slap on your shade panel, and screw on the outer nuts.. wing nuts would make this even easier..
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
Matt F.

Hi Sonja,
I recalled seeing a gentleman on YouTube demonstrating some really good modifications (including cooling) he performed on his Heath AH-12 Martin house.
I was able to locate those videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQtyI5LR30I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7vTq5EuhGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfxPoWE6U9o