Trio Martin House "Brake Cable Tensioner"

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
SCleland

Dear Friends,

I'm working with the Trio Winch Conversion Kit, which includes a short "Brake Cable Tensioner." The instructions show that it goes inside the winch housing and then comes back out, and I see the entrance and exit holes. But I'm not sure how to thread it into the housing and then back out. Anybody know the trick?

Thanks,

Stuart C.
Matt F.

Hi Stuart,
The Brake Cable Tensioner is already complete and ready to go out of the box - no additional assembly needed for it. It's a simple, yet proven design. It's basically a tiny band brake. The wingnut with the spring under it on the lower right side of the winch housing (which is used to adjust the tensioner) is attached to a cable loop inside the winch, that wraps around a flanged disk which is attached to the drum gear (this is all inside the winch housing).
All you need to do is run the end of the cable through the little hole by where the handle attaches to the drum, and secure it with the wingnut like it shows in the instructions. You can then start winding the cable around the drum/spool.
Attached is another photo from older Trio documentation, that may show it a bit clearer.
TrioWinch.JPG
TrioWinch.JPG (31.28 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
SCleland

Dear Matt,
Thanks for your kind and helpful reply, and the photos. However, my problem is that the winch kit arrived with the cable loop detached from the wing nut and washer. It was protruding from the winch housing, and eventually came completely loose. I've pushed the threaded end back into the housing in hopes that it will turn 180 degrees and come back out the bottom hole, but it bumps into the axle or some other internal part I can't see. So I'm stumped, and would appreciate any further advice you can give.
Many thanks,
Stuart
daveh

The front cover of the winch snaps on and off. Snap it off so you can see inside. The brake wire is put thru the top hole of the frame, looped around the winch teeth, behind the winch teeth, and then thru bottom hole in frame. The spring and wing nut go on the bottom, the spring, then thread on the wing nut. The thick washer is placed on top to keep wire from slipping thru hole in frame.

Dave
PMCA member
Matt F.

My apologies - I better understand the situation now. That is a bit of a pickle.
DaveH is definitely on the right track.
If it helps at all, here's a detailed drawing of the winch, and its components:
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... page-2.png
SCleland

Thanks to both of you.

Following Dave's advice I successfully positioned the cable in the grove behind the teeth and then out the exit hole. Everything is secure now.

So glad to know there are friendly and knowledgeable people only a few clicks away!

Best wishes for a successful PM season.

Stuart