More Sharpstown Pics

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

Had to share these- we were just amazed at the number of martins! Neat to think that maybe our birds and babies were swirling around somewhere up there! :lol:

Laura H
Attachments
Sharpstown Mall (Houston, TX) Pre-migratory roost, July 6, 2005, approx. 8:30 pm
Sharpstown Mall (Houston, TX) Pre-migratory roost, July 6, 2005, approx. 8:30 pm
Sharpstown 7_6_05.JPG (94.01 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
Sharpstown Mall  (Houston, TX) Pre-migratory roost, July 6, 2005, approx. 8:40 pm
Sharpstown Mall (Houston, TX) Pre-migratory roost, July 6, 2005, approx. 8:40 pm
Sharpstown2 7_6_05.JPG (87.71 KiB) Viewed 5372 times
Matt F.

Great photos!
Dick Sherry

Laura, those are amazing pictures! It is hard to get pictures of martins at a roost that show their numbers well, but these pictures do a good job. Comparing those images to what we have seen at roosts here, there are a ton of birds at the Sharpstown roost. Thanks for posting them!
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Whoa, yeah!!! and are they still dropping into those same 7 or 8 trees? Or have they had to spread to the surrounding trees in the parking lot?

We were there on June 27th and I do believe things are getting thick down there!

Your picture at 8:30pm looks like mine did when it was already too dark to photograph. Your picture at 8:40pm shows more birds than I remember seeing! Awesome!!!

I'm concerned - I hope nobody else notices the birds and tries to scare them away... Shhhhhh... :lol:
Sincerely,
Laverne

These were taken with a thunderstorm looming, so they're darker than I would have liked. We'll probably go back in about a week and try again. The birds were still in the same grove of oaks- it started raining too hard to wait and see if they also used neighboring trees.

Good thing is, it didn't look like anyone was interested in messing with them or chasing them away. Better believe I'd be calling TX Wildlife & Fisheries if they did!! A few people stopped to ask what they were, so it was good to educate a few more people on these awesome birds!
Adam Romain

I was thinking I might try and watch the roost this weekend. Let me know if anyone else will be there, would love to share the experience!
Adam