Neat little article - Belgrade, Maine old colony

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Matt F.

Stumbled upon this neat little article/blog entry:
https://mebirdingfieldnotes.wordpress.c ... in-colony/
The author indicates it may well be over a 100-year-old colony.
twins

thats great to see good to see people still care about the martins good luck from eastwakefield nh
anybody in NH doing purple martin watching and doing house,s and gourds
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Just today read this article. I applaud the efforts of this group in Maine but it appears that they may need some assistance. Since I will not be in Maine anytime soon, has anyone in their neighborhood had the opportunity to assist them. Their gourd rack may be indicative that they are "winging it", so to speak. Just imagine if they had installed a Deluxe gourd rack.

Maybe the PMCA could send them some information and a catalogue? That may have already been accomplished.

Ed
Matt F.

I agree Ed.
It does appear that they could use some guidance.
Martin man RI

Both New Hampshire and Maine are in need of help. They just started
to remove old wooden houses and have replaced them with gourds. After almost 15 years. The information has been out there and people know how well they have done in Southern New England. This work should have been done a long time ago. Its will be years for these states to rebuild
there populations back to normal levels. But at least they finally doing something before its to late. They are out of my reach or they would have heard me loud and clear. Remove the junk houses and invest in Modern units!
like the rest of the country.

Ray
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I have to admit the old houses beyond repair have a bit of charm to my eye. But I like old dilapidated buildings and junk. Not that the houses are probably up to par with large compartments, etc...but I still like the looks of them.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
Matt F.

DebA wrote:I have to admit the old houses beyond repair have a bit of charm to my eye. But I like old dilapidated buildings and junk. Not that the houses are probably up to par with large compartments, etc...but I still like the looks of them.
Deb
I totally agree Deb!
I love seeing those old Martin houses.
To me, there is such a cool mystique associated with old houses - especially ones that have hosted Martins for decades.
If I had the time, and talent, I would love to make Martin houses that look old, and antiquish, but have all of the modern safety features (SREH, large compartments, etc.)
If I ever have the opportunity to run across a colony using an old house like that, I would love to make the necessary enhancements to it, and put it back up in the same spot so it can continue to host Martins with all of its existing charm, and new safety features.
Last edited by Matt F. on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
diane vB

What a sweet article. I love the look of the old houses. Maybe just plug up the holes as new housing is put up. So that we can keep them as mementos. History for all to see. Like these pioneer villages I've seen in New Brunswick and Ontario.
PMCA member
2010-2013?
2014 approx 25 fleged
2015 17 pr 37 fledged?