Oh Brother!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Fred Kaluza~MI
Martin Colony History: Tried and tried and had some visitors but...not enough good insects around here to keep them interested.

WOW!!!!
Those people are actually located somewhere in the US. Views of that nature would be acceptable in Europe but in North America where the vermin have done unmeasurable damage?
They make a series of absurd statements (about both ES and Hosps)but I couldn't find any way to contact them to give them my perspective.

CUL Lou~Mich

Why not just leave them alone to their ways of thinking. Remember, not all folks like rock and roll, nor do all folks like country and western. Not all folks like General Motors vehicles, nor do all folks like Ford, or Chrysler. Each person has his own likes and dislikes. Why cause a bunch of trouble because someone doesn't think the same as we do?? CUL Lou

I would have to agree with CUL Lou on this one. All people do not consider the starling to be pest, just like all people do not think the same.

For example, I like classical music. Just because I like Purple Martins, doesn't make me a redneck and it sure doesn't mean I like country music.

We have our own group here at the PMCA web site and they have their own starling group. Let the sleeping dog lay.

Now if they come over to our site and start some stuff, then by all means, that is grounds for war, but as it stands, I don't see justification in fanning the fire.
John King

Amen, Patriot
John King
[email protected]
Athens, Al.
Fred Kaluza~MI
Martin Colony History: Tried and tried and had some visitors but...not enough good insects around here to keep them interested.

Yeah, I'm not trying to start another re-education battle here, I just thought you might like to see what I stumbled across. Let's just say that it's INTERESTING how some folks don't want to accept reality for what it is. Kinda' sad! Any basic search will reveal way more evidence to support what we've all witnessed. I just hope that anyone who may come across a Starling and want to rehabilitate it or make a pet of it never decides to release it in U.S. airspace.
Matt F.

Good post Fred. I think it's good for us to know just how many out there are defending these things.

The problem is, it's not just a case of "not all folks like rock and roll, nor do all folks like country and western". They're standing for something that is a threat to our martins.

They are making false claims. They are stating that starlings are being unfairly attacked and that they are NOT responsible for some native bird's decline. They are trying to defend a bird that is obviously detrimental to martins. They are letting their emotions cloud the truth. All they see is a fluffy, cute, little starling. What they don't see, is the ravaging and killing these birds do other truly innocent, non-aggressive species.

What's always a hoot is when these people see photos of actual starling marauding, they still don't believe it! If you were able to show them a video feed of a starling attacking and killing baby and mama martins, they'd probably tell you that the video had been altered to frame the starling!

Again, they're letting the thought of humans hurting poor, little starlings, twist their views. Even to the point of fabricating falsities to make themselves feel better about defending them.

(stepping down off my soapbox) Image

For sure it is one of those things where people only see what they want to see. They say "Where is the SCIENTIFIC evidence that Starlings are at fault for reducing native cavity nesting songbirds :?: They go on to (very selectively) quote some Phd's expressing doubts that Starlings contribute to our native bird decline :!:

I am sure that information collected from hundreds of keen Purple Martin observers would not be scientific enough for them. But we all know what we have seen. Perhaps we should have a Phd write a paper documenting the number of Purple Martin deaths directly attributable to Starlings. I can report at least one this year. And I can report numerous incidences of attempted nest destruction (out of sheer spite) I have observed with my own eyes this year. But in the interest of not offending our "bird" loving brethren, we should probably not report how many Starlings we have destroyed in efforts to protect our (much superior) beloved bird. But I can't resist: 15 so far this year! How about you? :lol:
John King

How about 17cal., 22cal., 410 ga. ? thats my method.
John King
[email protected]
Athens, Al.

Whaler, I fully agree with the points you brought up. I won't pretend to have a solution of how to handle a situation like this but I do not agree with a 'live and let live' attitude in this instance.
John Kendall

I hate to use the old Hawk Mountain quote from people who used to plunder hawks during migration. Those hawks are our native species . The Starling is not native, like kudzu, zebra mussels and all the other introduced species that threaten our diversity by man's doings.

So, with pellet gun in hand, man must try to correct this when and where he can.

I suggest a winter "cowbird shoot" in every city. These are even more destructive to our native species and form great winter flocks that would be easy pickings with a shotgun.