northern Vermont martins?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Kyle Gregoire

Hello everyone
Thank you for a very informative and helpful website. Everyone has a story, heres mine. Since 1992 ive been trying to aquire martins here in northern Vermont. Being close to the northern range I knew this would be tough if not impossible. but deceided to try anyway. If you dont do, you wont, but if you do, you might (a basic hunting philsophy). The one good thing is I am on the northern end of Lake Champlain which has martins. I am 8 miles south of martin roost # 297 in quebec. From 1992 to 2004 i saw a total of 17 birds, with zero in 95,97,2004, and i am in sight of the lake. I might as well have had my housing at tranquility base on the moon. Then last year happened. 2005 It started on May 29, I had birds seven days in June ending on the 12th. It restarted with the fledgings July 22 and saw alot of birds repeatedly every day until it peaked on august 23 morning with a swirling vortex of about 75 birds around and on my houses in the morning and approx 125 birds on the wires in front of my boxes that afternoon. I have a video of the vortex and a still picture of the wires. I had alot of repeat sightings almost everyday and have better notes but thats about it. Quite a thing here this far north. Did i do anything different in 2005 that i had not done in the prior years? Yes. One thing. I started playing the dawnsong and daytime chatter. Im sold. Zero in 2004, 280 in 2005. If you have not tried this DO IT. I also observed on multiple days with binos (otherwise this would have gone unnoticed) birds thats circled and kept the housing in view alot. Im hoping I witnessed imprinting. I realize people have repeat visits and they cant get martins to stay but im hoping being this far north helps me. There are not many martins here but there is not much available good housing either. I hope this helps. So the anticipation of this year will make it a good one no matter what happens. And if i only could have what happened in 2005 happen all the time, i will be happy. I had and saw birds almost everyday. So back to reality. Im just a pre landlord, and i dont have martins, but dont feel bad because pre landlording sure has been alot of fun so far. Building two pine t14s new this year, playing the dawnsong, and the extreme anticipation of what is to come. And remember, if you do get martins, on that day, your pre landlording days may be over forever. My advice to you my friends, is play the dawnsong and join the PMCA. Happy Martining!!
Martin man RI

Hi Kyle
You have a good stock population of Martins in North west VT I was up
there a few years back on a trip just to locate colonies. I was very happy
to see so many good sites to i agree its very cold in there area of north west
VT but because its a valley it maybe a little warmer. The T-14 is a great unit
and with them you may find that birds almost prefer the T-14 because of
the large compartments. Super gourds are great but not as popular in New England I like them and use them along with extra large trio units.
I look after three sites two in RI and one in MA. And i am a mentor for
all of NE and touch base with others in you state. If i may help at all
feel free to email Ray in RI
oneidalaker

Martinman RI, was wondering if you know if there are many colonies along Buzzards Bay Ma. Specifically, I'm interested in trying to establish a colony in the Wareham/Onset area on the coast

Bob
Martin man RI

Hi Bob
Any one that puts up a good set up and manage it should not have a problem getting Martins on Buzzards bay in MA. One of my sites that
i am helping is on Narragansett Bay and the birds there have had a long
20 year history and were never manged. (go figure) There are many colonies in Plymouth county MA. I have spoken to the people at welfeet
bay santuary and left information on martins but have not heard any anything Cape cod could have tons of Martins they just needs someone
in that area to start up a colony at a public site so people can see them
and get interested. There have been martins that nested out on the cape
but none of the sites have lasted from what i have read. There is a site
is middleboro MA that was over fifty years old not sure after last years bad
weather is the site is still active? Trio units were the house of choice but
landlords here are getting smarter and buying super gourds. If only i could
get the older sites to all change over to larger compartments that would make such a difference. Let me know what happens with the site on bazzards bay. Ray
oneidalaker

Ray, I'll be putting up a house and some gourds either in the fall or next spring on the bay opposite Onset on Lydias Island Road at my in-laws. I'll let you know how we make out.