Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: 60 gourds
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair-5
2022- 5 pair-20
2023 34 pair-44
2024 39 pair-TBD

Got a great chance to spend time with the Argentines and Chileans at this weeks Copa American at Metlife...great game... but getting home is nothing better and I had a small emergency when I was leaving Monday morning. 4 Gourds all fledging and one on the ground as I did one last look... Found this link in here and immediately provided a natural gourd laying around and ripped the opening off and tunnel out to put the fledgling off the ground and into an "emergency shelter' from on old unused Tri-Tek pole from previous years and raised it up about 7 feet (1 section) (everyone early landlord should be prepared for this i was not).
link wouldnt't attatch but I just googled Purple martin on the ground emergency...good read. Within in 10 minutes parents were there and 2 minutes later 60 other flapping and fluttering trying to get him to fledge...he was shook up and stayed put as I had quite a time finding him in about 3 foot of thick grasses.

Got home this evening and for the first time witnessed the fledglings on day 3 hanging out take off, eating, mauling, etc..and learning form the parents. Landing in the oaks and flying and learning to eat..etc... the notable thing I learned was the distinct communication between the 3 day old and the mother..It was kind of a ccchoooommmp sound (low key higher pitch) and the first time I heard this along with the fledgling (smaller and not as nimble) with a reply back in a new sound I was unfamiliar with...

Any way it was a cool moment as I listened and watched this cool little nursery happening with 5-15 hatchlings (don't really know) as they were practicing landing and going back into gourd for the evening. Anyway I was enamored with the new sounds and communicating I now know what to look for. It was my first time hearing it. :) Cool sunset and 50+ birds flying in more local patterns with lower altitude...Thought I'd share my eventful story with everyone. Excitement, concern, joy, educating myself, admiring...all in 3 days...It's been a good week.
"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." - Lao Tzu
Birdiegirl
Martin Colony History: 34 cavities (combo of T-14, barns, and gourds)
2020- Visitors
2021- 1 pair, 5 fledged
2022- 11 pair, 36 fledged
2023- 20 pair, 78 fledged

Great read, Jones! Seems like there is always something new and exciting to learn about our martins. If only we knew what all those vocalizations really mean. Sure is fun to listen to.

I too was reading about a fallout shelter this week. Ended up with two nestlings on the ground- one died, the other I was able to return to the correct nest thanks to good notes! Unfortunately, that chick was repeatedly kicked out. At first I blamed an SY, but after the third ousting, it was obvious that the parents were rejecting him. Further inspection showed a leg defect. Hate it, but the parents seem to know if one won't survive.

Fledging began in earnest at my site too this week. I really wish the birds stuck around after those first flights, but my colony seems to take the fledges elsewhere to feed and roost. I already miss them! I've still a couple of nests with eggs due to hatch on 7/3- so I'm happy to look forward to a bit longer season.

Glad to hear your season has been so productive! Enjoy all those chortles and chirps :grin:
Laura
PMCA member
Jones4381
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair-5
2022- 5 pair-20
2023 34 pair-44
2024 39 pair-TBD

Thanks Laura and great update from KY. I like to think:

Look mom dad I'm flying...check this move out..

Mom; quick a bug over to your right...

Fledgling look at that big tree Mom wonder if I can swoop over it.

Mom; stay focused junior and get something to eat first...

Gulp...

Mom; That's my son...

Best from VA...
"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." - Lao Tzu
Jones4381
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair-5
2022- 5 pair-20
2023 34 pair-44
2024 39 pair-TBD

Birdiegirl wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:01 pm
"I too was reading about a fallout shelter this week. Ended up with two nestlings on the ground- one died, the other I was able to return to the correct nest thanks to good notes! Unfortunately, that chick was repeatedly kicked out. At first I blamed an SY, but after the third ousting, it was obvious that the parents were rejecting him. Further inspection showed a leg defect. Hate it, but the parents seem to know if one won't survive."

Sounds like overall you had about a perfect season with nesting and fledging thus far. Found a dead chick about 15 days old yesterday morning and unsure if the 26+ day old got out of the emergency shelter gourd but when I left the 2 parents were checking on him along with plenty of other interested observers...i like to think it did. Unsure of any defects that will be left behind and perish but if it's less than 5 or 6 I'd be thrilled after the mass die off last season. Anyway, always enjoy your updates and growth as we've both come a long way and venturing into PM 301 or 401 instruction....Few more years and we'll be doling out advice and become experts...at least in our local areas....guess the next step is to get others involved and doing the same... again best wishes and happy independence week...10 days off here so I'll get to watch that first flight, failures, and hopefully not to many losses as we come down the homestretch. Congratulations on the success and growth of a great sounding colony in KY. Definitely rewarding pastime in many ways and brings a little peace and comfort to us all. I think happiness overshadows the tough times in land lording.

PS. Did capture a 5+ foot Black racer yesterday mid day as the birds were going crazy as he was searching under the poles. Predator guards did their job so far but will probably invest in netting as I was driving him to the pond area where I saw a copper head few weeks back to hopefully rid me of that scary stealthy snake. I had him in a 3 foot trashcan and I was nearing the pond he raised strait up out of it and eventually got out as I made it to the drop off point....I now see how a 5-6 foot snake could defeat a baffle on a pole....always something to do in this hobby and the worrying always abides it seems with new threats....parenting right...tough never-ending job.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
2022- 33 pair. 151 fledged
2023- 33 pair. 165 fledged
2024- 40 pair.
HOSP: 52 Starlings: 29
Home colony: mix natural, super, Troyer and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 36 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with troyer tunnels and enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
2022: 11 pair, 35 fledged
2023: 18 pair, 101 fledged
2024: 39 pair,
PMCA member

Jones4381 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:16 pm
Got a great chance to spend time with the Argentines and Chileans at this weeks Copa American at Metlife...great game... but getting home is nothing better and I had a small emergency when I was leaving Monday morning. 4 Gourds all fledging and one on the ground as I did one last look... Found this link in here and immediately provided a natural gourd laying around and ripped the opening off and tunnel out to put the fledgling off the ground and into an "emergency shelter' from on old unused Tri-Tek pole from previous years and raised it up about 7 feet (1 section) (everyone early landlord should be prepared for this i was not).
link wouldnt't attatch but I just googled Purple martin on the ground emergency...good read. Within in 10 minutes parents were there and 2 minutes later 60 other flapping and fluttering trying to get him to fledge...he was shook up and stayed put as I had quite a time finding him in about 3 foot of thick grasses.

Got home this evening and for the first time witnessed the fledglings on day 3 hanging out take off, eating, mauling, etc..and learning form the parents. Landing in the oaks and flying and learning to eat..etc... the notable thing I learned was the distinct communication between the 3 day old and the mother..It was kind of a ccchoooommmp sound (low key higher pitch) and the first time I heard this along with the fledgling (smaller and not as nimble) with a reply back in a new sound I was unfamiliar with...

Any way it was a cool moment as I listened and watched this cool little nursery happening with 5-15 hatchlings (don't really know) as they were practicing landing and going back into gourd for the evening. Anyway I was enamored with the new sounds and communicating I now know what to look for. It was my first time hearing it. :) Cool sunset and 50+ birds flying in more local patterns with lower altitude...Thought I'd share my eventful story with everyone. Excitement, concern, joy, educating myself, admiring...all in 3 days...It's been a good week.
That is cool, ill watch out for that communication noise.
Good timing on your return for the grounded fledge and subsequent save! Very fulfilling.
Yes, its chaos when they reteun for the night in a good way...now anyway. SY birds aren't as brutal and are fewer in number.
Adults return first calling their young ones who soon follow but no longer cooperate. They seem to go where they want, some find unoccupied gourds to pack in, rest like the gourd arms and cane perch rods to sleep on. Adults take off just at dusk for their roost (which ill find), 6 cavities on the cusp of fledging.
A good house sparrow is a dead house sparrow.
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Great story! As you describe, Fledgling time is always awesome to observe. I’ve never heard those vocalizations you describe, and I pride myself on studying their calls and meanings.. I hope I get to hear that!! Very cool!
Congrats
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total.
6 fledges.

2021: 9 pair, 47 eggs
36 hatchlings
30 fledged

2022: about 12 pairs.. many eggs, all fledged.. only had one hatchling die.. probably because of our schnauzer. :(

2023: 16 pairs. So far about 60 chicks with about a dozen eggs to go. :)

Good story.. all I’ve ever heard from nestlings and fledglings is the “cheep-cheep” sounds. Never noticed any other type of sounds. Always made me wonder how it is possible for parents to know where the heck their kids are once mixed in with all the other fledges flying around in the mass of martins. Very cool
Jones4381
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair-5
2022- 5 pair-20
2023 34 pair-44
2024 39 pair-TBD

Joy turns back into stress this evening. Thanks for the kind comments.

I discovered 2 more Black rat snakes or Eastern Racers (look similar to me but believe its a Black rat cause it sure could climb) attempting to breach my predator guards. This one I got off pole and observed it's actions to see what it would do and just observe. First it went up inside the baffle on primary pole and was rejected with birds all watching intently. Then it Went over to second 24 rack and did same thing going up inside the baffle. I'm going to go and put on some snake netting in the morning. Still probably have 80+ to fledge. He climbed it by using the pully and cable...

I went and trapped him and took about about a mile+ down the road and found him a new home. Snakes baffling a must as they worked this time twice...think he or aonther one will eventually defeat the baffle so got to add netting now...He was 5-6 feet. The other about 4.5
Attachments
EasternRacer BlackRat snake.jpg
(272.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Phil01
Martin Colony History: 34 Cavities offered.
24 unit gourd rack with Troyer Horizontal and Vertical Gourds. Sunset Inn aluminum house with 4 Troyer Horizontal Gourds.

2020- 1 pair, 4 eggs, fledged 3
2021- 3 pair, 15 eggs, fledged 8
2022- 5 pair, 26 eggs, fledged 21
2023- 10 pair, 53 eggs, fledged 27

PMCA Member

First, well written, great story and observations on the fledglings Jones! I’ll definitely listen more closely for those calls, I’ve only noticed the baby bird cheeping sounds from the fledglings, so now I’m curious. Such cool birds, they are so much fun to watch.

Mine stay close to the housing and at low altitudes also at fledging time. Probably my favorite time of the season, total mayhem. I don’t know how the parents tell them apart either.. We were wondering, how do the parents teach them to catch bugs? Instinct? Point em in the right direction and say, go get ‘em? lol This year on several occasions I’ve seen parents flying with bugs in there mouths feeding hatchlings in the air. A bunch of times I noticed them letting the bug go and a baby snatching it out of the air… At first I thought, that bug just got away, coincidence.. But after seeing it several times it appears they are teaching them to catch them in flight. Just an observation and theory but sure looked like that to me.. Very cool to watch.

That’s on big black snake sir. I’d definitely throw some snake netting up before one of his brothers figures out that baffle! Great save catching and relocating him.

Sounds like a great season up there, congrats!

Phil
PMCA member
Fernandina Beach, FL
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2017 Visitors
Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”..
2018 - 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 36 Fledged
2019 - 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 97 Fledged
2020 - 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Fledged
2021 - 30 Pair, 162 Eggs, 144 Fledged
2022 - 27 Pair, 146 Eggs, 125 Fledged
2023 - 31 Pair, 157 Eggs, 130 Fledged

Home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".
2019 - 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Fledged
2020 - 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Fledged
2021 - 8 Pair, 39 Eggs, 36 Fledged
2022 - 13 Pair 64 Eggs, 46 Fledged
2023 - 16 Pair, 89 Eggs, 84 Fledged

Jones4381 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:47 pm
Joy turns back into stress this evening. Thanks for the kind comments.

I discovered 2 more Black rat snakes or Eastern Racers (look similar to me but believe its a Black rat cause it sure could climb) attempting to breach my predator guards. This one I got off pole and observed it's actions to see what it would do and just observe. First it went up inside the baffle on primary pole and was rejected with birds all watching intently. Then it Went over to second 24 rack and did same thing going up inside the baffle. I'm going to go and put on some snake netting in the morning. Still probably have 80+ to fledge. He climbed it by using the pully and cable...

I went and trapped him and took about about a mile+ down the road and found him a new home. Snakes baffling a must as they worked this time twice...think he or aonther one will eventually defeat the baffle so got to add netting now...He was 5-6 feet. The other about 4.5
Great Story Jones4381 -- Good work .. and great picture as well

Dave
PMCA Member
Little Hocking, Ohio
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Wow.. close call with the snakes! Glad your guards worked. That is a good sized snake. Probably long enough to wrap around the guard and climb. Good idea to add the netting … I be wouldn’t chance it either. 80 left to fledge is a lot!
I’ve also seen the parents dropping bugs in flight, and teaching the fledglings to hunt for themselves, that way. Fun to watch!
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
Jones4381
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair-5
2022- 5 pair-20
2023 34 pair-44
2024 39 pair-TBD

Thanks for the uplifting comments...stress continues with many fledglings today...I feel I've been working as hard as them in this heat.

Found one on ground here at 6:00, looked to be a few days young to be out...Went to this site on martinwatch and reviewed my notes and figured it had to be one of 2 gourds around their 25th and 26th day by my best guess with notes. Lowered rack and found Gourd 2 with 4 birds last check and only 1 left. Checked gourd 6 with 2 nestlings and only 1 was in there so I put him in Gourd 6...close enough right I figured (if wrong then they could raise 3 instead of 2)....either would have probably worked. I agree with Dave when all goes well it's the best time watching them fly off and then meander around here for a day or 2 and then head off...I can tell already since the last 2-3 days many are off and on their way. I enjoyed the lower flight patterns and interaction but know it's very fleeting. One fledgling came right at us and landed on top of tent type thing we have by pool. Got a good look and he/she flew up and off into the field with 5 or 6 nipping her...I assume she made it.

Did a quick nest checks of 3 gourds where heads were out 2 days ago with at least 3 lots of 5's to fledge...all empty....guess that's what were aiding them for but a little bit of you knows it will be a little bit quieter and less activity... The upside is I'm tired of finding chicks on the ground. 3 found 3 saved thus far with only 2 dead one's located on ground....1 a 15 day old or so and another that was in that 25-28 day range that expired. Overall told the wife if I only find 5-8 dead I'd be happy but let's hope for only the 2 thus far... I do really appreciate the members in here and a place we can share our questions, opinions, experiences, and answers during these times for reassurance and support...Great group and thanks to each of you.