wet Troyers

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
hobbiehobbie

It hasn't rained here in more than a week.
Regardless, the insides of my Troyers are all wet. Condensation? Should I try to do anything about it?
These babies are big. Im afraid they will try to fly if I mess with them too much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mstan
Martin Colony History: 2023 two gourd racks 24 gourds ,kept no records. Became an official landlord. 2024 28 gourds keeping records.

Hobbiehobbie, I would do nest change and get rid of wet nest material. I m just in second year of landlording but have learned a healthy nest is good for the martins. I don’t know how close your birds are to fledging, so be aware of that. I would change nest in early afternoon and have help if available to get it done quickly. Just my thoughts.
Stan
hobbiehobbie

Oh my.

I was afraid that was going to be the suggestion. I really don't know if these babies will tolerate that much activity without flying off. I am super concerned about the weather this up coming weekend...heat indexes over 100. It is so wet in some of those gourds, I don't know how they could survive it. I wish I had paid more attention to the venting issues earlier.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2023, 81 pair with 350 fledged youngsters. 106 total cavities available, 82 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit Iowa Purple Martin Organization on Facebook. Emails send to [email protected]. Subject line include Iowa Purple Martin.

Do not attempt nest changes after the babies have reached 20 days of age. If the nest is just damp and not a wash out soaking; then these older babies will survive.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
flyin-lowe

Do you have the little vent places drilled out? If not I would make sure next season you drill those out. On the top of most Troyer gourds there are a few little raised areas that the under side can be drilled out for ventilation and it is angled at a way that keeps the rain out. If your little ones are getting close to fledgling age you might just have to leave things as is this season and hope for the best (i'm sure they'll be fine) and then next year vent them.
2024 HOSP count-26
2023 60+ pair, HOSP count-8
2022 60 nests with 262 eggs, HOSP count-14
2021 62 nest fledged aprox. 230, HOSP count-9
2020 42 nest, Fledged 164, HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair 14 fledged.
hobbiehobbie

Thank you all so much for you advice.

We did drill those tiny tiny tiny little vents out yesterday evening. I am just afraid that is not near enough ventilation to deal with this amount of moisture. Condensation (or whatever) is running down the walls.

The forecasted temps for this weekend are 98+ with high humidity. We are in central Alabama. It is HOT!

Our martin gourds get absolutely zero shade from daybreak until very very late in the evening. I really truly regret the location, but it is certainly too late to do anything about that. We just started using these Troyer Vertical gourds last year and I felt so good about them. They seem so much safer. We have hawk problems, so I really loved that longer entrance "hall" to protect from the hawks. I didn't pay enough attention to the ventilation issue. I feel horrible.

I've considered drilling several good sized holes in the screw-on cap and use a piece of screen to keep insects out and provide some shade just to get through these next few days. I have a few extra caps, so I could do that without traumatizing the babies too much. There is ZERO rain forecasted for the next five days.
I would love to hear any of your opinions on my plan. I am completely open to any and all suggestions.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
2022- 33 pair. 151 fledged
2023- 33 pair. 165 fledged
2024- 40 pair.
HOSP: 52 Starlings: 29
Home colony: mix natural, super, Troyer and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 36 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with troyer tunnels and enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
2022: 11 pair, 35 fledged
2023: 18 pair, 101 fledged
2024: 39 pair,
PMCA member

hobbiehobbie wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:33 pm
Thank you all so much for you advice.

We did drill those tiny tiny tiny little vents out yesterday evening. I am just afraid that is not near enough ventilation to deal with this amount of moisture. Condensation (or whatever) is running down the walls.

The forecasted temps for this weekend are 98+ with high humidity. We are in central Alabama. It is HOT!

Our martin gourds get absolutely zero shade from daybreak until very very late in the evening. I really truly regret the location, but it is certainly too late to do anything about that. We just started using these Troyer Vertical gourds last year and I felt so good about them. They seem so much safer. We have hawk problems, so I really loved that longer entrance "hall" to protect from the hawks. I didn't pay enough attention to the ventilation issue. I feel horrible.

I've considered drilling several good sized holes in the screw-on cap and use a piece of screen to keep insects out and provide some shade just to get through these next few days. I have a few extra caps, so I could do that without traumatizing the babies too much. There is ZERO rain forecasted for the next five days.
I would love to hear any of your opinions on my plan. I am completely open to any and all suggestions.
If I were you I'd not drill out the cap and put in a screen, instead drill out the cap and insert a 90 degree 1 inch PVC "elbow" for a vent. Orient it down and calk it in, screw the cap back on.
Off season id drill a 1 inch hole in the upper neck, in back, insert the PVC elbows. Im picturing a troyer vertical gourd...if it a horizontal gourd put the elbow in the back of the gourd...again orient down and seal well.
A good house sparrow is a dead house sparrow.
hobbiehobbie

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I appreciate your quick reply.
I will take that advice.

I have been freaking out all day

These are horizontal. They seemed so very safe. Hawks are a real problem for my little tribe. I just should have been more educated about ventilation issues
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2024- 40 pair.
Home colony: mix natural, super, Troyer and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 36 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with troyer tunnels and enlarged compartments.
PMCA member

Thats why we are here sir. I think we get educated every year.
Little we can do against owls and hawks unless you build a cage.
Venting is important, even if its warm air, its moving. Beauty of it is you can do the caps and pop them on in minutes. Later do the backs of the gourds.
You have some great gourds, martins do well in them. Soon enough you will relax and worry a bit less.
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Just to add to what everyone said.. I have troyer supergourds with tunnel entrances.. I have 2 , 1 inch pvc elbow vents (as Tom described) in each gourd. One in the cap and one in the back , right below the neck… the 2 vents really help to keep temps and moisture down, inside the gourd.. nests were bone dry and surprisingly cool during nest checks this year.. I agree with the others, if the chicks are close to fledge, they are mature enough, and should be ok in damp nests.. but do what you can to vent, as others recommended..
good luck
Rob
Last edited by Martintown33 on Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMCA member
Laplace, La
hobbiehobbie

I just now realized i described the gourds as vertical in my earlier post. I do have somer vertical ones, but I'm having the problem with the horizontal ones.

apologies for the confusion :)
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Understandable mistake sir.. but the answer would be the same.. vent the caps with pvc elbow vents, if you can, for now.. then in off-season, add 2 vents in each gourd, for best ventilation.. in the Deep South it’s so hot and humid …as we know!.... good ventilation really helps..
good luck,
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
hobbiehobbie

Thank you so much for your help!
Martintown33

Sure thing! P.S. when it’s cold when they first arrive you can plug the vents with foam insulation or anything that works.
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
hobbiehobbie

I was thinking that same thing today. I guess I should have been more aware of this as a potential problem, but last year I was hyper focused on the hawk problem.

Everything about these gourds made me feel so confident.... I just didn't pick up on the potential ventilation problems. Honestly, aren't those tiny little spots on the back a little bit silly? Perhaps there were instructions in the box that they came in detailing what all I needed to do to "fix" them, but I didn't see any.

I've saved these babies from hawks just to let them cook to death. I feel so bad

There is seriously a huge amount of things to take into account when you start trying to host martins.
I do love them so much though
Martintown33

Your martins should be allright, even in the heat, if you vent the caps. Use the extra caps you have, drill a 1 inch size hole with a paddle bit or 1 inch hole saw bit. Screw in the elbow vents (get the threaded kind) , then seal well around, where you screwed it in, with caulk .. you can get the pvc elbow vents at hardware stores, in plumbing section. Once you’re done, just switch out the caps. The chicks won’t mind. Use plug and pull if you think it’s necessary.. Your martins are fairly mature and should be ok.. as long as they’re getting fed they should make it through the heat. You should be ok. You’re obviously a very good landlord with a lot of compassion for your martins… but caring for martins, as you know, is an evolutionary process… we’re all learning new things.. adapt and overcome! You will be fine and your martins have a good landlord.. Here’s a pic of 1inch pvc elbow vent, in the cap. Put ‘em on, and all should good!
Good luck
Rob
IMG_1849.jpeg
(2.71 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Martintown33 on Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
PMCA member
Laplace, La
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2024- 40 pair.
PMCA member

Well you are well on your way. Just some tweeking. Its like a sparrow trap, or pellet gun, just needs some small adjustments.
Can't battle mother nature, all we can do is bear it.
Your well above many many colonies on folks property, folks who notice martins now and again, martins who may start with 3 eggs, and are lucky to fledge one.
Kegger
Martin Colony History: 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs ,fledge 7
2021: 5 pair 25 eggs fledge 18, 4 egg 2nd brood attempt
2022: 13 pair 61 eggs fledge 56 added 11 cavs. now 22 total
2023 15 pair 75 eggs fledge 51 only 3 of 11 eggs hatched cavity 10

I use an extra gourd when doing nest changes, if you bed the extra ready with pine needles and mite powder or liquid seven spray you can do a change in no time. If you work in a clear plastic bag you could transfer the chicks via inspection port. A little tricky but I think it could be done.
Phil01
Martin Colony History: 34 Cavities offered.
24 unit gourd rack with Troyer Horizontal and Vertical Gourds. Sunset Inn aluminum house with 4 Troyer Horizontal Gourds.

2020- 1 pair, 4 eggs, fledged 3
2021- 3 pair, 15 eggs, fledged 8
2022- 5 pair, 26 eggs, fledged 21
2023- 10 pair, 53 eggs, fledged 27

PMCA Member

I agree with all above. All of my Troyer horizontals have the holes drilled out in the back at an upward angle (think I used 3/8 drill bit) and the 1 inch pvc elbow in the cap and I have had no wet nests this season, so adding the ventilated caps should really help.
Something else you can do in the extreme heat is add shade. You can get sign board at your local home improvement store. The type people use for garage sale signs. Get white cause it helps reflect some sun. Zip tie it to your gourd hanging arms so that it is over the top of the gourds. Doesn’t take long to do.
Phil
PMCA member
Fernandina Beach, FL
Martin man RI

Had the problem many years ago drilled out the vents that fixed the problem Yes its condensation. The condensation can cause the older chicks to have bird mess on there tails
which can cause a problem when fledging. You did the right thing. And the birds will be fine i see pictures of unvented gourds and alarm the landlords
you need to vent the gourds or condensation. Think about it five or six chicks and parent in a while plastic gourd no air flow its like a oven with mites....
The air flow will make a huge difference. You will see enjoy. I used a cordless dill and drilled the holes the chicks did not mind at all. The temp probably dropped immediately.
The chicks will jump when over heated too,

Ray
Rhode Island