Hawk/Owl attack

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
pleaseeemailme

To all my fellow PM addicts….I am heartbroken. This am as usual I was sitting outside enjoying my PM’s happily chattering when out of the blue a VERY large hawk/owl attacked possibly up to 3 of my birds. He was smart, because he waited until they were all clustered together at a cavity (with owl guards) on my t-14. He flew off with his talons full…so I know for sure it had to be at least 2.
I’m upset because this is my 5th year having purple martins and have yet to build a good following. I have approximately 6 pairs this year….up until this snatch and grab. Now of course the birds have left the house and I’m sure not in any big hurry to come back for awhile. They usually do eventually and I’m hearing/seeing them in flight but very concerned about the impact this may have caused. I’ve had hawk attacks before but not with multiple birds at one time. Yeah, I know….it’s nature and they have to provide for their young …:(…but I am really upset. I am very emotionally invested in these birds. It’s tough being a land lord when this happens and again I worry about the few birds I have and don’t want to lose what I have.
Please!!! Someone make me feel better….

Stressed out in RI
SoIndyDon

It is a very bad experience, being nature as it is. I have been successful several of the years there's been attacks.
Tips: 1. Decoys - I have 6-8 of them at places I think key. That is the side of the attack, favored roosting places and at the eggshell feeder
2. If trees encroaching, cut them or move the poles. 40 feet for trees is recommended, but honestly it depends on everything around that near tree. It could be 80 feet due to conditions.
3. Keep your colony right sized (when you get there). For me that is 2 poles of 16 gourds.
The above is from my 25+ years hosting martins. It works for me. I very much hope for you too.
Landlording since 1996 in beautiful southern Indiana.
Martin man RI

Hi I am landlord in RI, And manage numerous super sites threw out RI and MA. And reach out to many landlords in Southern New England. I have moved many Martin
poles to open locations if your yard is not open that gives the coopers hawk the advantage. You must keep the area as open as possible that way the hawk cannot hide and
fly in and attack.

Ray
Barrington RI
pleaseeemailme

Appreciate the responses…
Solndy Don - what are you using for decoys and where are you placing them…on the actual house or in the area nearby? They don’t get wise to the decoys?

Martin man…I don’t know if you ever get by Exeter, but sometime if you do, maybe you can stop by and see my setting for any needed recommendations?
Do you feel all subadults have arrived in RI by now? In other words, do I have a chance of getting more birds now that we are into June? (The last few years, my adults arrive the very end of April).

Also…once a mate has been taken, what does the remaining male or female do? They had been bringing in nesting material the last week or so. Will the female stay and lay the eggs without the male? If the male is left what does he do? Last year I had a rogue male that was troublesome.
As you can see, still so much to learn about these wonderful birds.
The bird that attacked I believe was an owl yesterday at 7am. It was huge and I have seen him hanging around the property previously. He is not a high flyer. I live on the Audobon where everything is plentiful!
I’m guessing that now he knows where he can get a good meal and may frequently come back.
Once again, my thanks and appreciation. I am so happy to have this forum to help me with all my questions & concerns.
Martin man RI

I get yearlings up until July 3 these are birds that have failed or lost a mate. I have never seen a day light owl attack ever. I know your location and its not very open
Its prime for owls, The barred and Great horned owl. They seem to be more of a problem when chicks are fledging, I had a minor issue at one site some bent rods and
on few gourds the site was not abandoned and is full again. Many of my sites are in public locations with alot of people traffic. So the predators keep a distance i also
use tree swallows to help alarm the martins of predators. Having deep gourds is a must the site that had bent rods were the troyer Horizontal gourds which are 14 1/2 inches
deep many of the gourds were bent but the chicks were all fine because they were in the safety of the nest bowl. i just bent them back and the parents continue to feed and
fledge there young maybe the owl wanted food prey that was much easier to grab, and gave up. This is a 84 gourd site. MY biggest fear and everyone in this forum is a owl
attack the martins are back in great numbers here in RI and they have draw the attention of all these predators. If you need to talk you can email [email protected]
I mentor many landlords I manage the Audubon Society colony in Seekonk MA Caratunk & and the colony at Weekapaug Golf Club in Westerly. Both sites are full.

Ray
tor
Martin Colony History: Capacity: 72 Troyers on 3 X Super-24 racks

Have on average one hawk attack on the colony every day, starting half way into the season, and peaking during fledge time. I use a lot of dove decoys all around the colony. I have found that moving them around gives better hit results on the decoys. And trust me, they are beginning to look pretty ragged. The colony is pretty much in the open, so they have time to escape.

I have seen plenty of hawks going after the martins over the years. I have never seen a hawk out-maneuver a martin yet, as long as they have enough time to get off the racks.

And of course, the larger the colony, the more hawk attacks will occur, as I've seen over the years.
2024: Capacity: 72 - 72 pair - Last nest check: 356 eggs and babies combined. Average 5 pr nest.
2023: Capacity: 72 - 72 pair
2022: Capacity: 72 - 71 pair
2021: Capacity: 72 - 71 pair
2020: Capacity: 72 - 71 pair
2019: Capacity: 72 - 70 pair
2018: Capacity: 70 - 60 pair
2017: Capacity: 42 - 39 pair
2016: Capacity: 42 - 32 pair
2015: Capacity: 24 - 4 pair

Torlo.com - Making Life A Ride
Purple Martins Of South Carolina
Mstan
Martin Colony History: 2023 two gourd racks 24 gourds ,kept no records. Became an official landlord. 2024 28 gourds keeping records.

100% capacity! That’s great.
tor

Mstan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:33 am
100% capacity! That’s great.
We will probably dig a hole this fall and install a Gemini rack. We'll see what happens.

Tor
2024: Capacity: 72 - 72 pair - Last nest check: 356 eggs and babies combined. Average 5 pr nest.

Mstan
Martin Colony History: 2023 two gourd racks 24 gourds ,kept no records. Became an official landlord. 2024 28 gourds keeping records.

I currently have 1 deluxe 12 gourd and 1 round rack 12 unit that I have added 4 more gourds for a total of 28 gourds. My plan is to purchase the 8 unit gourd rack for next year. I will go back to the original 12 gourds on my round rack. This will give me a total of 32 gourds. I believe that will be the extent of my colony. This has been a good year as I have had 25 of 28 gourds occupied, last nest check yielded 97 hatchlings and 24 eggs.
Stan
tor

Mstan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:05 pm
I currently have 1 deluxe 12 gourd and 1 round rack 12 unit that I have added 4 more gourds for a total of 28 gourds. My plan is to purchase the 8 unit gourd rack for next year. I will go back to the original 12 gourds on my round rack. This will give me a total of 32 gourds. I believe that will be the extent of my colony. This has been a good year as I have had 25 of 28 gourds occupied, last nest check yielded 97 hatchlings and 24 eggs.
Stan
Once you get going, the count increases very fast. When i went from two racks to 3 racks, it took them just about one season to fill up the 3.rd.

Mstan

That’s encouraging, I believe that would be enough for me to manage to the good of the martins. Thank you.
Cliffside_KSAT

Decoys!

I've heard claims that PM decoys are best used to attract new birds, and to distract predators, but in my experience it's almost entirely the latter where decoys are useful. Decoys are a great way of handling raptors! In fact, with few exceptions, the raptors went after the decoys first, and only then seemed to notice the fleeing PMs. Personally I keep two decoys on my colony, up on the ends of the highest perch rods, held in place with stainless steel hardware.

Place at least one decoy in plain sight at the periphery of any PM equipment. Secured to the end of perch rods furthest away from the housing, for instance. Plain sight so the raptors see them clearly. Furthest from housing so when the raptor does strike, the PMs have the opportunity to scramble and mount a defense.

You need not worry about the raptors getting wise to the decoys. We have hawks and owls in the area, and the decoys get plenty of abuse from the same cast of characters. I've witnessed a hawk slam into a decoy and try to fly off...only to be dragged upside down because the decoy is screwed into the perch rod. But does that deter the hawk? Nope! It got itself upright, perched right next to the decoy, and clawed at it for a bit, bit it a few times, pooped and flew off to look for an easier meal.

Sucks to hear about your raptor strike, though. Get yourself some decoys and you'll be better prepared! And the PMs will return, don't worry.