Too late to setup my first apartment?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bulletsdad
Martin Colony History: MSS-12 modified to 6 rooms. Installed May 2024

I’ve seen martins frequently for weeks and I’m considering becoming a landlord. There is at least one house not far from here. I’m in the Florida panhandle.
Is this a good time to erect a house?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Phil01
Martin Colony History: 34 Cavities offered.
24 unit gourd rack with Troyer Horizontal and Vertical Gourds. Sunset Inn aluminum house with 4 Troyer Horizontal Gourds.

2020- 1 pair, 4 eggs, fledged 3
2021- 3 pair, 15 eggs, fledged 8
2022- 5 pair, 26 eggs, fledged 21
2023- 10 pair, 53 eggs, fledged 27

PMCA Member

Hi bulletsdad, welcome to the forum! Lots of very knowledgeable landlords here that will answer any questions you have.

I say go ahead and put up a house. The main migration of SY birds (last years fledglings) in north Florida has passed but there will be some stragglers for the next couple weeks. I’ve seen them show up in my area up until the 3rd week in May.

Also, some martins may abandon their colony due to predation and be looking for a new, safer place to nest.

If you are seeing martins flying around and there is a colony not far from you, this years fledglings will be flying around with their parents checking out the area. They may see your housing and remember it for next year. Only about 10-15 percent of fledglings return to their natal colony when they return next year. So a lot of this years fledglings will return as SY birds next year looking for a new colony.

I’m sure others will chime in. If you have any questions ask away. Good luck!
Phil
PMCA member
Fernandina Beach, FL
bulletsdad

I appreciate your advice.
Thank you!
bulletsdad

You were right, Phil!
We were very excited to have investigators within minutes of installing our MSS-12 and playing a chatter recording.
Thanks again for the encouragement.
Phil01
Martin Colony History: 34 Cavities offered.
24 unit gourd rack with Troyer Horizontal and Vertical Gourds. Sunset Inn aluminum house with 4 Troyer Horizontal Gourds.

2020- 1 pair, 4 eggs, fledged 3
2021- 3 pair, 15 eggs, fledged 8
2022- 5 pair, 26 eggs, fledged 21
2023- 10 pair, 53 eggs, fledged 27

PMCA Member

Outstanding! Sounds like you are in a good area for martins! Keep playing the chatter as much as you can! I’m still having some SY birds showing up here so you may pick up some, especially if other landlords in your area have no more room. There will probably be parents with their fledglings checking out your housing as well.,
Good luck, let us know how it’s going!
Phil
PMCA member
Fernandina Beach, FL
bulletsdad

Will do.
Thanks again for the encouragement!
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total.
6 fledges.

2021: 9 pair, 47 eggs
36 hatchlings
30 fledged

2022: about 12 pairs.. many eggs, all fledged.. only had one hatchling die.. probably because of our schnauzer. :(

2023: 16 pairs. So far about 60 chicks with about a dozen eggs to go. :)

Wow— that was quick. :)

Even though it’s late in the season, having a house up is still good. Martins will remember it for next year. Excellent.
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Agree with Phil’s advice.. glad it worked so well for you! Congrats..
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
bulletsdad

As I remember it, 60 years ago my parents told me how happy they were that the neighbors’ Martin gourd houses were an investment intended to eliminate all the mosquitoes in the neighborhood.
They had no idea how far from the truth they were. Nor would they understand how much the Martins relied on humans.
Although our investment now minimally impacts the mosquito population, it is already bringing joy to us and supporting the Purple Martin population.
We are grateful to all who are dedicated to these amazing singing acrobats. Thank you!