2023 die off / 2024 returning numbers study at this site

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: 60 gourds
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair
2022- 5 pair
2023 34 pair

2023 were a difficult time for Martins and myself at this site. The colony exploded from 5 pair in 2022 to 34 pairs in 23' and all appeared that the growth and health of the colony had avoided any interruptions and was trending toward the 60 goal and 100% occupancy. A week long trip for work and 5 days of constant rain in mid June revealed most young hatchlings had died from starvation by nest check when I returned that Saturday. 160+ chicks was reduced to 46 and ended up only 39 chicks surviving the season.

Will report to admin, through this post, the anticipated decline in overall returning adults due to the unsuccessful breeding season this past year from this event. I don't anticipate a total collapse of the colony but will be interesting to see the effect this will have in 2024 regarding nesting pairs.

I did not see any dead adults from the starvation event and only assumed adult pairs abandoned the younglings for their own survival. Perhaps they died off too, just not any found inside the gourds with the dead young.

The post is not intent on bringing bad news during this new season of rebirth but as a memorialization for others on effects of colony misgivings and the many threats to this species. Good luck to everyone in 24'. I'll repost here again end of April and a final count end of May for data comparison.
"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." - Lao Tzu
flyin-lowe

I'm not expert by any stretch of the imagination but my gut instinct tells you me you probably won't notice much of a decline. I think if your martins were nestlings were wiped out by predation, then the adults would likely abandon the site. Studies show the amount of fledges that return to the site they were born at is relatively low, so most of those you lost would have gone somewhere else anyway, but I bet the majority, if not all the adults who survive the migration will return. Time will tell and good luck this season.
2024 HOSP count-20
2023 60+ pair, HOSP count-8
2022 60 nests with 262 eggs, HOSP count-14
2021 62 nest fledged aprox. 230, HOSP count-9
2020 42 nest, Fledged 164, HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair 14 fledged.
Jones4381
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair
2022- 5 pair
2023 34 pair

flyin-lowe wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:02 am
I'm not expert by any stretch of the imagination but my gut instinct tells you me you probably won't notice much of a decline. I think if your martins were nestlings were wiped out by predation, then the adults would likely abandon the site. Studies show the amount of fledges that return to the site they were born at is relatively low, so most of those you lost would have gone somewhere else anyway, but I bet the majority, if not all the adults who survive the migration will return. Time will tell and good luck this season.
Appears you are correct as usual Flyin Lowe. Counts are tough on total birds as no nest checks yet. Pairing off and leaf collection in earnest. I've counted 18 pairs thus far with no Subs yet unless it's a female and I can only recognize SY-M in honesty. Hopefully it will be another strong year for SY's as they should be arriving any day now based on past data from myself and other landlords in the general area 4-25 to 5-5 is avg of first arrivals. Don't recall this point in time last year but I believe there were similar numbers last season in ASY's.

Admittedly, There was concern the colony would take a big step backwards after the weather event last year. The purpose of this post is for others who experience die offs from Freeze (southern states 4 years or so back) and other weather related events that greatly effects 1 seasons numbers (surprise, surprise that a PM LL has concerns). It appears overall numbers should be similar to last year and the species is doing well with the commitment of so many other enthusiast that look after this wonderful bird and their own survival instincts.
"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." - Lao Tzu
Birdiegirl
Martin Colony History: 34 cavities (combo of T-14, barns, and gourds)
2020- Visitors
2021- 1 pair, 5 fledged
2022- 11 pair, 36 fledged
2023- 20 pair, 78 fledged

Wish I had more experience to bring to this conversation, Jones- but since you and I became landlords at the same time all I can offer is a guess, and support! Most of what I've read here and through other PMCA literature is that predation is the biggest reason behind colony collapse/abandonment/decline... not weather. I can speak a little about weather- if you recall my first year both of my poles were leveled by straight line winds. Two of the three nests were destroyed. The third nest fledged 5. The following year, I had birds return and bring friends. So maybe that is a positive small scale example.

I find it very encouraging that your ASY numbers in 2024 seem to be the same as last year. That leaves time for the SYs and all their chaos to fill in the gaps! Since the birds you have are already busy nest building, that will only attract others to your location. The explosion of success you had welcoming birds last year speaks to the attractiveness of your site. I agree with Flyin Lowe's comments, and suspect you'll have similar nesting numbers this year, even with last year's setback.

Since we seem to track similar arrivals, as an FYI we had our first SY male show up this past Tuesday (4/30), and I saw a SY female yesterday evening, 5/1 (I feel solid on this ID because the undertail coverts where so white). So now the party begins! It's Derby weekend, which is quite a thing for us Kentuckians. You can bet I'll still be watching martins though- albeit wearing my Derby hat.

Please keep us posted- I'm very interested to hear how things progress.
Laura
PMCA member
Kegger
Martin Colony History: 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs ,fledge 7
2021: 5 pair 25 eggs fledge 18, 4 egg 2nd brood attempt
2022: 13 pair 61 eggs fledge 56 added 11 cavs. now 22 total
2023 15 pair 75 eggs fledge 51 only 3 of 11 eggs hatched cavity 10

2023 I had seen eggs non viable in 2 cavaties total of 10 eggs. A few cracked and 2 of 3 with a different female did fledge. The same cavity 2024 only produced 3 eggs which all hatched and should fledge sometimes this week. 2 other cavities with a total of 10 eggs non viable and only 1 chick in each cavity now about a week old. Lost a chick about 2 days old as well. Birds unhealthy??
Jones4381
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair
2022- 5 pair
2023 34 pair

Birdiegirl wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:47 am
Wish I had more experience to bring to this conversation, Jones- but since you and I became landlords at the same time all I can offer is a guess, and support! Most of what I've read here and through other PMCA literature is that predation is the biggest reason behind colony collapse/abandonment/decline... not weather. I can speak a little about weather- if you recall my first year both of my poles were leveled by straight line winds. Two of the three nests were destroyed. The third nest fledged 5. The following year, I had birds return and bring friends. So maybe that is a positive small scale example.

I find it very encouraging that your ASY numbers in 2024 seem to be the same as last year. That leaves time for the SYs and all their chaos to fill in the gaps! Since the birds you have are already busy nest building, that will only attract others to your location. The explosion of success you had welcoming birds last year speaks to the attractiveness of your site. I agree with Flyin Lowe's comments, and suspect you'll have similar nesting numbers this year, even with last year's setback.

Since we seem to track similar arrivals, as an FYI we had our first SY male show up this past Tuesday (4/30), and I saw a SY female yesterday evening, 5/1 (I feel solid on this ID because the undertail coverts where so white). So now the party begins! It's Derby weekend, which is quite a thing for us Kentuckians. You can bet I'll still be watching martins though- albeit wearing my Derby hat.

Please keep us posted- I'm very interested to hear how things progress.
Thanks Birdie. SY's seemed to show up in earnest while away down south at a graduation. Didn't get a good count but at least 4 moved in while away this past weekend. The second Gemini 24 pole is catching a lot of overflow now and tbh I haven't had a chance to do any nest checks this year so a little uncertain on where I stand with birds. I got to finally sit for more than an hour observing last night and a quick guess would be 22+ pairs with single SY's flying onto occupied porches and fights and birds being knocked off the porches. Like you pretty sure of SY females showed up too as I don't remember the bellies being as "white' and noticeable in past years. Got about 1 acre of wildflowers planted, 5 American Chestnuts, 4 Nuttall oaks, 6 giant sequoia's, and 3 bald Cypress's planted this Spring. I decided not to get into raising honey bees this year as time is just not there. I am going to put 4-5 mallards at the pond with a pair of geese for some quacking. Enjoying sounds, visuals, and the spectacle of the whole thing, aging does that to us i suppose. Martins are at the center of it all and got it all started looking back the last 5 years....even though I've had a Gobbler out every morning the past 2 and giving them a run for their money on early AM sounds...

I'm always interested in how my KY friends are doing up there as well. Our symmetry on starting our colonies and timing appears to keep us aligned. I'm happy.

I enjoy hearing your updates and humor post and thanks for inquiring about how it's going down here..