1st Martin pair scoping it out 6/12/23

3/20/24 1st Martin (ASY M)
3/21/24 1 ASY M
3/23/24 ASY M and maybe F
3/24/24 3 ASY M and maybe 1 F in am
6 in pm maybe 2 F and 4 ASY M
3/25/24 10 birds-Mostly Males/ maybe 2 female

Hello!!

I’m Molly. I live in Georgia and have been a lover of birds for a long time. In 2017, I really started my bird watching days while on maternity leave. Just me, the baby, the birds and my porch. I’ve had bluebird houses for years and always feed the hummers. Barn swallows have been coming back to the same nest on my front porch for 4+ years. After doing a year of research in 2022, last year I decided to add some PM housing!

I THOUGHT I had seen PMs on our farm (35 acres, mostly field, neighbor with a pond to our east, large creek to the south, and another huge pond to our west) but I was not 100% sure. I thought they were probably nesting in trees if so, because there are not any PM colonies immediately near me that I know of.

On June 11, 2023 I finally got my 12 gourd rack up. I knew it would probably be years before I got martins, or so I thought… June 12 I had a pair of martins checking out the new digs. I couldn’t believe it. They checked it out several times over the next few weeks which was exciting enough for me. Maybe they would come back next year.

This year I prepared and watched for arrivals between February 15-March 1.
I played some morning song for one day about March 18 for about 30 minutes… doubt it did any good but who knows, maybe!

March 20 I had my first Martin visitor!! I’m ecstatic. Maybe too ecstatic. I’m assuming it is him, but he has been back every morning bright and early at the same gourd. I have called him OG and that will be gourd number 1! :grin: his little tweets were the absolute best!

March 21 I had a the single male visitor and March 23 a maybe female arrived.

Now I’m not the best at distinguishing the SY M from Females yet, so I’ll leave it at male and maybe female for now.

March 24 I had 4 birds that morning (3 male and 1 maybe female) and at least 6 that evening (4 male and 2 maybe female)
March 25 I had at least 10 birds. Mostly male and 2 maybe female.

I saw 7 birds this morning but didn’t take a video so I can’t remember exact coloring, but definitely mostly males. 1 female that was being fought over.

I have been scrolling through the forum well before I joined and am looking forward to learning A LOT from all of you!!
Also, if I should calm my excitement- please advise. :lol:
No one else understands my excitement. My brother in law has a well established colony outside of Perry, Ga but I haven’t had a chance to talk to him about it yet. I will see him Thursday and will inundate him with questions. The only other person I knew with Martins was his dad and he has passed away. He had hundreds in Alabama!

Anyways, thanks for reading if you made it this far and please give me any and all of your best advice for just starting out!

I have cedar shavings in my gourds and just waiting to check them out and for the next chapters of their sweet little lives!

Molly
Horse girl at heart, but love Purple Martins, too!
PMCA Member
Mollsrab
Martin Colony History: 12 rack started June 11, 2023

3/21/24 1 ASY M

Attempting to attach a few photos!
Note “OG” on his gourd. 8)
IMG_9705.jpeg
(1.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_9778.jpeg
(2.08 MiB) Not downloaded yet
PMCA Member
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Hi Molly.. congrats on your first martins! Looks like you’re definitely well on your way! The second photo is definitely a mix of asy males and females…
Enjoy your new family!
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
2022- 33 pair. 151 fledged
2023- 33 pair. 165 fledged
2024:
HOSP: 35 Starlings: 23
Home colony: mix natural, super, Troyer and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 36 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with troyer tunnels and enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
2022: 11 pair, 35 fledged
2023: 18 pair, 101 fledged
PMCA member

Molly,
Welcome to the forum and the addicting life of purple martins! You keep good records, that is awesome and so are your pictures. They look like they are quite comfortable. Congrats!
No way any of us would ever suggest to be calm about martins, its not gonna happen, not here.
Guess any advice I'd suggest is protect them from predators with a good guard and snake net.
Enjoy your martins, hope your colony takes off and you fill the skies with martins.
Best,
Tom
A good house sparrow is a dead house sparrow.
Mollsrab

3/21/24 1 ASY M

Thank you, Rob and Tom!!

Yes!! I was just talking to my mom about a guard. I do have two Great Pyrenees that keep all critters out of the yard. It’s amazing. But snakes was my main concern. I do also have chickens and have relocated 3 black snakes. I told mom I would have to put netting at the bottom like we do the chicken coop. I will definitely do that.
We have owls here as well; we have lots of rabbits and gobs of field rats that I hope will keep them occupied. Mr. Owl usually hangs out down in the horse pasture and we see him coming in and out while he is sitting on fence posts.

I am super super excited about all this! My dad had a a small PM house when I was in high school now that I think about it and that is probably where my original interest stemmed. I just couldn’t leave my daddy out!
I think his trees grew up too large in his yard and they abandoned, but now he wants a new one! I think he forgot how exciting it is. I have lots of people following my martins on Instagram. :lol:

Heading out of town to Montana for a week - so hopefully they stick around! :wink:

Everyone have a great evening! I’ll post updates!
PMCA Member
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2017 Visitors
Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”..
2018 - 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 36 Fledged
2019 - 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 97 Fledged
2020 - 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Fledged
2021 - 30 Pair, 162 Eggs, 144 Fledged
2022 - 27 Pair, 146 Eggs, 125 Fledged
2023 - 31 Pair, 157 Eggs, 130 Fledged

Home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".
2019 - 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Fledged
2020 - 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Fledged
2021 - 8 Pair, 39 Eggs, 36 Fledged
2022 - 13 Pair 64 Eggs, 46 Fledged
2023 - 16 Pair, 89 Eggs, 84 Fledged

Molly. ,,
Great story.. Welcome to the PMCA forum.. Congratulations to you and your new arrivals… :grin:

Dave
PMCA Member
Little Hocking, Ohio
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total.
6 fledges.

2021: 9 pair, 47 eggs
36 hatchlings
30 fledged

2022: about 12 pairs.. many eggs, all fledged.. only had one hatchling die.. probably because of our schnauzer. :(

2023: 16 pairs. So far about 60 chicks with about a dozen eggs to go. :)

Great story and it’s going to be an exciting time for you. :)

I too grew up in a rural area and my dad put up a Purple Martin house (early 1970s) — so as a kid up until maybe 9th grade the late winters through June were filled with the sights and sounds of PMs… it wasn’t until well after 2007 after retiring from the Navy and hearing a purple martin high in the sky one afternoon, that I remembered these birds again..: so I bought a PM gourd rack and gave it another shot in the Slidell La area and was able to get a couple or three pairs while there. A couple years later we moved to Broussard La, and after a few unsuccessful years, I was able to get a new colony started again. And now have close to 18 pairs at this time.

Looks like all of the pictured martins you uploaded are ASYs. I think you’re probably close to seeing the SYs… I spotted my first SY arrival of the year 2 days ago.. and yesterday the first female SY.

Get yourself some binoculars— it really helps IDing the SYs- although it is pretty easy to spot the maLe SY… especially when you hear what looks like a female croaking that male chirp :) — a dead giveaway.

Have fun— keep us updated.

David

Btw—- you are very blessed to get such a successful start your first year!
SSMartin

Whoever drilled those super gourds front to back did a good job. If I may make a suggestion if the original mounting holes aren’t sealed please do so. Some white caulk over the original mounting holes will help keep rain out of the gourds. Wet warm nests are really welcoming for mites that feed on the chicks so keeping rain out is beneficial.

You’re certainly going to have success with your current residents
Mollsrab

3/21/24 1 ASY M

dsonyay wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:09 am
Great story and it’s going to be an exciting time for you. :)

I too grew up in a rural area and my dad put up a Purple Martin house (early 1970s) — so as a kid up until maybe 9th grade the late winters through June were filled with the sights and sounds of PMs… it wasn’t until well after 2007 after retiring from the Navy and hearing a purple martin high in the sky one afternoon, that I remembered these birds again..: so I bought a PM gourd rack and gave it another shot in the Slidell La area and was able to get a couple or three pairs while there. A couple years later we moved to Broussard La, and after a few unsuccessful years, I was able to get a new colony started again. And now have close to 18 pairs at this time.

Looks like all of the pictured martins you uploaded are ASYs. I think you’re probably close to seeing the SYs… I spotted my first SY arrival of the year 2 days ago.. and yesterday the first female SY.

Get yourself some binoculars— it really helps IDing the SYs- although it is pretty easy to spot the maLe SY… especially when you hear what looks like a female croaking that male chirp :) — a dead giveaway.

Have fun— keep us updated.

David

Btw—- you are very blessed to get such a successful start your first year!

Hi! Thank you for the welcome!

Isn’t it funny how things are instilled into you as a child and they come back around. I only hope that my love for PMs will one day be evident at my son’s homes!
My dad was also passionate about bald eagles in the 80s/90s. They aren’t in so much trouble these days, but I also love bald eagles and watch several eagle cams!

Anyways, I am familiar with Broussard! My husbands grandmother lives in breaux bridge. We were just there and in Lafayette on new years visiting her. We also have family in Slidell. They are Martins, actually. Not the birds. :lol:

How exciting to have a colony again at your new homestead! I can’t imagine moving away from a colony and all the hard work put into it. I think I would have to make sure the next family kept them up!

I will keep y’all updated. Only saw this males this morning but OG was standing guard of gourd 1. :grin:

Have a wonderful day!
Molly
PMCA Member
Mollsrab

3/21/24 1 ASY M

SSMartin wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:34 am
Whoever drilled those super gourds front to back did a good job. If I may make a suggestion if the original mounting holes aren’t sealed please do so. Some white caulk over the original mounting holes will help keep rain out of the gourds. Wet warm nests are really welcoming for mites that feed on the chicks so keeping rain out is beneficial.

You’re certainly going to have success with your current residents
Hi!! Thank you!!! All advice welcome!! I still have my clear silicone we put on the porches to keep their little toes from getting stuck! I’ll be sure to do that today when I get home before leave tomorrow.

I sure hope they stick around and some ladies show up for them!
PMCA Member
Thomabear

Welcome to the PMCA forum Molly and thanks for sharing your story. I’m sure everyone here can relate to your excitement of attracting your first martins. We all went through it. 😀 You definitely came to the right place to learn from the many years of combined experience this membership has to offer, not to mention making good friends along the way. I’ll share 3 resources that proved very helpful when I first started out a few years back.

1st and foremost the PMCA website has a wealth of information like scout arrival maps and other resources that will prove very helpful.

Another good resource is the Stokes Purple Martin Book which goes over things like predator protection, Purple Martin habits. brooding, etc.

Lastly I found Chucks purple Martin page to be very helpful, covering just about everything from parasite mitigation/prevention and on and on.

Hope this helps and we’re rooting for you to have a thriving colony in no time. As Tom stated, once you start interacting with these birds you will soon be addicted. 🥹🧐🙃
2019- 6 Pair, 31 Hatched, 30 Fledged
2020- 8 Pair, 38 Hatched, 32 Fledged
2021- 10 Pair, 51 Hatched, 39 Fledged
HOSP count 130, Starlings 2
2022- 31 Pair, 154 Hatched, 146 Fledged
HOSP count to date 17, Starlings 1
2023- 28 Pair, 128 Hatched, 124 Fledged
HOSP count 47, Starlings 1

PMCA Member
Birdiegirl
Martin Colony History: 34 cavities (combo of T-14, barns, and gourds)
2020- Visitors
2021- 1 pair, 5 fledged
2022- 11 pair, 36 fledged
2023- 20 pair, 78 fledged

Welcome Molly! You are definitely in the right place to share your stories, ask questions, and be extremely enthusiastic about your birds. Congratulations on your success in attracting birds and welcome to what certainly is the most addictive and rewarding hobby ever. Keep us posted! I'm in central Kentucky still awaiting the return of my birds, should be any day now (I'm obsessively watching the skies every moment I'm home). Best wishes for a wonderful season :)
Laura
PMCA member
Phil01
Martin Colony History: 34 Cavities offered.
24 unit gourd rack with Troyer Horizontal and Vertical Gourds. Sunset Inn aluminum house with 4 Troyer Horizontal Gourds.

2020- 1 pair, 4 eggs, fledged 3
2021- 3 pair, 15 eggs, fledged 8
2022- 5 pair, 26 eggs, fledged 21
2023- 10 pair, 53 eggs, fledged 27

PMCA Member

Welcome to the forum Molly! Lots of very experienced landlords here that will answer any questions you have about the purple martin addiction! Feel free to be as excited as you like, there is no lack of that here!
Congrats on attracting martins your first year! You are very fortunate, many landlords wait YEARS for their first pair!
If you have any questions, ask away! You can also use the search engine in this forum and type in what you are curious about and all the old posts on that particular subject going back many years will come up…,
Good luck, wish you a great 2024 season!
Phil
PMCA member
Fernandina Beach, FL
birdman in buckhead
Martin Colony History: 2018: 1 pair, 5 fledged
2019: 3 pairs, 10 fledged
2020: 3 pairs, 13 fledged
2021: 13 pairs, 46 fledged
2022: 22 pairs, 89 fledged
2023: 20 pairs, 85 fledged

Welcome Molly! Just like a lot of other interests, there are purple martin folks and other folks who just don't get it. Sort of like motorcycle riders. Some folks get it and others don't. I bought a bike about 20 years ago, but never "got it". I tried, but it was never something I truly enjoyed or could not live without, so I sold the bike 5 years later. Being a purple martin landlord is something that truly gives me joy! I enjoy cleaning out the units in the winter and can't wait until my first bird arrives! My wife and I love doing nest checks and watching the young birds fledge! If there's a predator spotted or giving our birds any grief, it will not be around very long. They are not just birds; they are our birds and our colony that we take pride in and deeply care about! Good luck starting your colony. It sounds like you will be an excellent landlord!
GEAUX TIGERS!

Cheers!
Terry
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: 60 gourds
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair
2022- 5 pair
2023 34 pair

Welcome Molly! Wishing you a successful season and will certainly follow along with the story telling, questions, concerns, and enjoyment that comes along with being a PM enthusiast.
"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." - Lao Tzu
Kegger
Martin Colony History: 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs ,fledge 7
2021: 5 pair 25 eggs fledge 18, 4 egg 2nd brood attempt
2022: 13 pair 61 eggs fledge 56 added 11 cavs. now 22 total
2023 15 pair 75 eggs fledge 51 only 3 of 11 eggs hatched cavity 10

Welcome Molly! Enjoy your new friends!! 8)
Mollsrab

3/21/24 1 ASY M

My first update since I went out of town for those following along!

I have been keeping an eye out for all the things. I had at least 12 birds the other morning. Those suckers are hard to count once they get to coming in and out all at the same time! It appears it is 6 pair. Still ecstatic.

I saw my first SY male on 4.6. He didn’t stick around I don’t believe. It appears I have all ASY males and females.

I saw OGs girl carrying grass into their gourd.
I did a check this afternoon while they were out and we have four building nests!

I haven’t had any intruders. We live in a large field and I have never seen house sparrows or starlings. Just hoping they continue to stay away!

Good luck to all in this new season and thank your for the welcome! ❤️
PMCA Member
Mollsrab

3/21/24 1 ASY M

How fun to see so many with fledglings already!

I am just now seeing eggs this week and I couldn’t be more happy for all my little birds! I counted 17 birds one morning. 14 yesterday.

I was doing weekly nest checks and of course I missed the first eggs or they were not there yet. I don’t think they were there 4.28.
But, I thought I checked good until today… after I checked yesterday and found 0 eggs in gourd 1(OG)…I found 5 in OGs nest today. I knew better. 🤣

So here are my stats so far.

Nests: 1,2,3,6,8,9

Eggs: SG1-0, SG2-1, SG3-4, SG6-2, SG8-?, SG 9-1

Eggs: SG1-5, SG2-1, SG3-4, SG6-3, SG8–2, SG9-3
Nests 7,11

I forgot to check 8. 9 must have been hiding an extra in there somewhere and 1… I was completely tricked by that heifer.

So my question is… what would be the most appropriate start date for egg laying?
1- 5/2?
2- 5/4?
3- 5/2?
6- 5/4?
8- 5/5?
9- 5/4?

This is just me trying to figure out hatch date as best I can! 😊
Thank you all for reading!
PMCA Member