ID Questions

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
JASpillman

I put up a Purple Martin barn just over a year ago after seeing a purple bird investigating the remains of an old dilapidated birdhouse. I still haven't been able to attract any Purple Martins although Bluebirds used it for a nest last summer. I then put up Bluebird houses at opposite ends of the clearing. Yesterday morning, I saw a purple bird in one of the Bluebird houses. I didn't get a good look but it appeared to be solid purple. All pictures of Purple Martins that I see have a lot of black on the wings. What could this lone purple bird be? Then, a few hours later, I came outside The St. Francisville, La. Pharmacy and on an eye-level sign on the wall were two birds that appeared to be tame. I walked right up to them before I noticed them then just stopped and looked at them. Their heads and faces looked like Purple Martins and their back feathers were a dark blue color. One was completely orange like a Bluebird on the chest and underside and the other was white on the underside with an orange bib. I have never seen orange on a Purple Martin in any photos. Could these birds be Purple Martins or Bluebirds. The dark blue feathers are darker than any that I've ever seen on any Bluebirds before. My Martin barn is closer to trees than recommended but the only birds that I have noticed flying above the treetops are Buzzards and Crows. I put out birdseed for the Cardinals, etc. and there's regular traffic of the seed-eaters flying low between feeders and into the trees but not much activity above.
JASpillman

I just noticed the "Purple Martin Imposters" page on the site. There's a photo of a barn swallow that looks exactly like one of the birds that I saw at the pharmacy. I guess they live there and are in close contact with customers constantly.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
2022- 33 pair. 151 fledged
2023- 33 pair. 165 fledged
2024:
HOSP: 35 Starlings: 23
Home colony: mix natural, super, Troyer and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 36 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with troyer tunnels and enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
2022: 11 pair, 35 fledged
2023: 18 pair, 101 fledged
PMCA member

Hello! Unlikely to be a purple martin going into the bird house. Maybe a tree swallow?
A good house sparrow is a dead house sparrow.
JASpillman

I suppose that it could be a tree swallow. It surprised me to see it so I ran inside to get my range finder to get a better view. I focused in on the opening just as it flew out. I don't want to disturb it, hoping that it will build a nest but I will be keeping a look-out for it.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
2022- 33 pair. 151 fledged
2023- 33 pair. 165 fledged
2024:
HOSP: 35 Starlings: 23
Home colony: mix natural, super, Troyer and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 36 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with troyer tunnels and enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
2022: 11 pair, 35 fledged
2023: 18 pair, 101 fledged
PMCA member

I love our martins cousins, wish we had them here. Hope they do ok for you guys!
A good house sparrow is a dead house sparrow.
flyin-lowe

The dead giveaway for tree swallows is their snow white underside.

The best thing to do if you are new to this is to go to youtube and watch a video or two of a martin colony. Their vocalization is distinct and once you hear it you won't mistake it for any other birds. Identifying the different age martins (SY males from females etc.) can be difficult, but there are no other birds that sound like a martin.
2024 HOSP count-20
2023 60+ pair, HOSP count-8
2022 60 nests with 262 eggs, HOSP count-14
2021 62 nest fledged aprox. 230, HOSP count-9
2020 42 nest, Fledged 164, HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair 14 fledged.
fotoimages
Martin Colony History: Its my first attempt. I found a Martin house in the trash and since I like to study and read about them I thought I'd give it a try.

Good Morning Everyone,
Its my first year trying to attract PM’s so I can’t be very helpful on them. I’m learning from these guys as I go along. Very knowledgeable group and I appreciate them steering in the right direction.
I have had a lot of experience with both the Barn and Tree Swallows. It sounds like your describing a Barn Swallow to me. Of all of the swallows I’ve been involved with the tree swallow has been the most friendly. I’ve been able to walk right up to them especially while cutting grass on my tractor (I don’t know maybe they were looking to see what kind of dinner I was kicking up for them in the grass). They would have the “dark” colored or teal colored back. Also they would have a white chest. Now the Barn Swallow (sounds like what your describing) would have the dark back, orange chest and a forked tail. They too can be awfully friendly as well. I have had the Barn Swallows fly so close to me that I could hear their wings. I have a nest of Barn Swallows every year in my pole barn and they let me work while they nest. Sounds like possibly a mail and female pair of Barn Swallows. My experience has been between the two bird types the only the Tree Swallow will nest in the Bluebird houses where the Barn Swallows will nest in their mud nests attached to a wall or under the floor of a loft. I have a lot of houses out and the Tree Swallows seem be good neighbors with the Blue Birds so having both shouldn’t be a problem. I’m looking forward to them all returning here to NE Ohio. No scouts yet where I live but there getting close. House is up and ready.

fotoimages - Dave
JASpillman

The bluebird house has a nest in it as I can see pine straw sticking out so I don't want to disturb it. I've seen a Bluebird flying around it so I'm thinking that's what's in the nest. I still have no Purple Martins but I think that I may have some House Sparrows in their barn now. I'm waiting to get a confirmation (black bib on a male) before I try out my BB gun if I can catch them outside. Then I'll lower the barn and remove their nest. :-(
JASpillman

I spent the afternoon watching a bright blue / orange male Bluebird hanging around the nest box and looking through the entry hole. Whenever the female leaves, the male enters until the female returns then the male struts around like a peacock. All the other birds seemed to be choosing mates today as well, Then near sunset, as the temp began to drop (last night was 32F, tonight's expected to be in the 40's), other birds (I think Bluebirds) were trying to get into that same bird house and were fighting over it. I have another one set up on the other side of the clearing with no birds in it and it faces east which is supposed to be preferable, but how do you explain that to birds?
JASpillman

I've given up on having any Purple Martins for this year. I've got House Wrens in the Martin Barn and although it's not what I want, at least they are native birds. I've got Chickadees in one Bluebird house and Bluebirds in the other, but last week I caught a Chicken / Rat Snake that had just swallowed the baby Bluebirds. Two weeks ago, a tornado ripped through the area and blew over 5 towering pine trees onto my Blueberry and Azelea bushes nearby in addition to countless trees pushed over onto each other like dominoes. I'm staying busy cleaning up the mess, trying to maintain my pets and plants, and protecting wildlife from other wildlife and nature itself.
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: 60 gourds
2020- visitors
2021- 1 pair
2022- 5 pair
2023 34 pair

JASpillman wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:21 pm
I've given up on having any Purple Martins for this year. I've got House Wrens in the Martin Barn and although it's not what I want, at least they are native birds. I've got Chickadees in one Bluebird house and Bluebirds in the other, but last week I caught a Chicken / Rat Snake that had just swallowed the baby Bluebirds. Two weeks ago, a tornado ripped through the area and blew over 5 towering pine trees onto my Blueberry and Azelea bushes nearby in addition to countless trees pushed over onto each other like dominoes. I'm staying busy cleaning up the mess, trying to maintain my pets and plants, and protecting wildlife from other wildlife and nature itself.
Fascinating. There is always balance even when the chaotic distorts it. I'm of the belief once you study and understand the species and all of the surroundings you're observing, you connect with it in a mutually understanding way....that's the journey and you seem to be traveling a good path. Good luck on the way.
"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." - Lao Tzu