New Pms

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Thomas Maddox

Do new individual PMs and or couples build multiple nests at one site? I know certain birds exhibit that behavior, but curious about the PMs. What's your experience?
Phil01
Martin Colony History: 34 Cavities offered.
24 unit gourd rack with Troyer Horizontal and Vertical Gourds. Sunset Inn aluminum house with 4 Troyer Horizontal Gourds.

2020- 1 pair, 4 eggs, fledged 3
2021- 3 pair, 15 eggs, fledged 8
2022- 5 pair, 26 eggs, fledged 21
2023- 10 pair, 53 eggs, fledged 27

PMCA Member

My first arriving males always try to dominate multiple cavities until they attract a female and she selects the one she prefers. The last two seasons I have had a male (not sure if it’s the same one but I believe it is) dominate gourds 1 and 2, they are right next to each other. Once he has attracted a female and she chose which cavity she wanted he continued to guard the cavity without the nest and chase off any martins trying to use it. What I have observed him doing is, once the hatchlings are about 2 weeks old and it’s getting crowded in there he sleeps in the gourd without the nest right next door. Took me a bit to figure it out the first season he did it…. lol Now I have his number, we’ll see if it happens again this season. I have one of my pairs coming into gourd 2 every night now.
Phil
PMCA member
Fernandina Beach, FL
defed
Martin Colony History: :
2022 - 1 pair, 5E, 4H, 4F
2023 - 2 pair, 9E, 5H, 5F

my 1st year w/ 1 pair, they built 2 complete nests w/ green leaves. 2nd year w/ 2 (different) pair.....they both built 2 nests.
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

I observe the exact same behavior from some of my males, Phil..
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La