Red Dot

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Thomas Maddox

Anyone with any experience using red dot siting on their pellet guns? I'm looking at upgrading pellet guns and adding a 'nice' scope or red dot. Thought?
defed
Martin Colony History: :
2022 - 1 pair, 5E, 4H, 4F
2023 - 2 pair, 9E, 5H, 5F

i think for a pellet or even a 22, a red dot isn't the greatest. the 'dot' will/can cover the entire target, making it difficult to make accurate shots on the small target. in my opinion, a 'regular' scope would be better. it's been quite some time since i got new equipment, but i seem to recall you needed a special scope for pellet guns because of their unique recoil. this may not be accurate info any more.
Conrad Baker

A red dot is usually a 2 minute dot, which means the dot will cover 2 inches at 100 yards. At 50 yards it will cover 4 inches, and at 25 yards it will cover 4 inches. As defed said It would obscure too much of the target, not giving you a precise aiming point. Also, most of them are not magnified, so it is harder to find a precise aiming point on the target (sparrow or starling). As defed also stated, springer air rifles induce some bad juju on scopes that aren't designed for them, so an air rifle scope is recommended. I use a Hawke scope on my Diana air rifle. They are tough, and designed for the forward and rearward motion that is produced when a springer air rifle is fired.
defed

Conrad Baker wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:03 pm
A red dot is usually a 2 minute dot, which means the dot will cover 2 inches at 100 yards. At 50 yards it will cover 4 inches, and at 25 yards it will cover 4 inches. As defed said It would obscure too much of the target, not giving you a precise aiming point. Also, most of them are not magnified, so it is harder to find a precise aiming point on the target (sparrow or starling). As defed also stated, springer air rifles induce some bad juju on scopes that aren't designed for them, so an air rifle scope is recommended. I use a Hawke scope on my Diana air rifle. They are tough, and designed for the forward and rearward motion that is produced when a springer air rifle is fired.
which diana do you have? as i said, it's been quite awhile, but i think mine is a model 46 with the under lever cocking. if i recall, i got it from cabela's over 20 yrs ago, w/ scopre, so i definitely don't recall what brand the scope is.
Conrad Baker

defed wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:49 pm
Conrad Baker wrote:
which diana do you have? as i said, it's been quite awhile, but i think mine is a model 46 with the under lever cocking. if i recall, i got it from cabela's over 20 yrs ago, w/ scopre, so i definitely don't recall what brand the scope is.
It's a Model P34. in .22 cal My PM houses are about 24 yards away, so I have it sighted in at that distance. Chronographed velocity of 840 fps with the Beeman 14.6 grain FTS, which shoots about an inch group or less at that distance.
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Agree, I have red dots on some of my military styled rifles, and they’re more useful for targets larger than birds.
A pellet gun scope is best as the others recommended.
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
Thomas Maddox

Ok. Good to know. Researching air rifle spefic scopes now.
Bird Brain
Martin Colony History: 2022-visitors, 2023-visitors, 2024-1 pair, fledged 4

House Sparrows aren't stupid. The red dot will spook the sparrow and cause it to flee, thereby missing an opportunity for a shot completely. I would stick to old fashion sites or scopes.
Our nation's destruction is not incompetence. It's intentional. Once you realize that, everything makes sense.
defed

Bird Brain wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:52 pm
House Sparrows aren't stupid. The red dot will spook the sparrow and cause it to flee, thereby missing an opportunity for a shot completely. I would stick to old fashion sites or scopes.
the red dot does not project onto the target, it's just inside the optic, acts the same as the cross hair of a reticle, but is very forgiving about angle of view. it should be on the target even if you are looking through at an awkward angle.
defed

Conrad Baker wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:28 am
defed wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:49 pm
Conrad Baker wrote:
It's a Model P34. in .22 cal My PM houses are about 24 yards away, so I have it sighted in at that distance. Chronographed velocity of 840 fps with the Beeman 14.6 grain FTS, which shoots about an inch group or less at that distance.
mine is .177, and i want to say it was up near 1000fps (i'd have to look it up, again, been a loooong time since i got it). i does like the heavier pellets, i think crossman 10.5gr.