Remove sparrow nest?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
CAK

I have a new colony and had three pairs this year, two have fledged their young and the last pair has a only a single chick about 20 days old. I’ve been able to keep sparrows to a minimum through trapping but have one sparrow nest with babies about to fledge. I don’t want that. I don’t have a good setup to shoot the sparrows and my fence mounted trap hasn’t worked on this one. Should I remove the sparrow nest/young without concern that the male sparrow will do harm to the martin chick? Appreciate any thoughts.
Matt F.

HI CAK,
If it were me, I would not risk it. In my opinion your remaining 20-day-old baby will be safer if you leave the house sparrow nest alone.
That was a really good call on your part factoring in the potential male house sparrow rage from tearing out its nest.
Ed Pace

Are you able to plug the nest up at night while the male or female are in the nest.? Maybe a Dixie cup on a long pole or something of that nature.
brent

I'd leave it alone. Keep the martin chick safe would be my #1 goal.
Brent
Brent
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Agree with the rest. Probably best not to risk it at this point..
Good luck,
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La
CAK

Thank you all for the advice. I’ll take it. Would be difficult for me to plug the hole at night time but that’s a good thought too.If the martin chick fledges first those sparrows better watch out!
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: Colony started in 1998. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Good luck with the chick… and then the sparrows!
Rob
PMCA member
Laplace, La