Beetles?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
FarmerHarv
Martin Colony History: 2018 - First house up in late June, lots of visitors brought over by “Percy”, a very enthusiastic SY male.
2019 - 10 nests, 51 eggs, 41 hatched, 40 fledged.

During today’s nest check we saw quite a few beetles in one compartment, and a couple in some others. They mostly seem to be outside the nest tray, but that could also be because we’re moving things around I suppose. They move pretty quick, and we’re wondering if we should vacuum them out, leave them or spray some Sevin or Tempo in the compartments?

Brad Biddle

I don’t know what type of beetle that is but I do know what Tempo is. I’ve used lots of it. I wouldn’t suggest using it in a Martin nest. It can be used in commercial poultry hoses between flocks but not while birds are in the houses.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 162 plastic gourds with tunnels, all with Conley II entrances with the Lewis modification. I have 24 Supergourds and the rest are Troyer Horizontals.
Conrad Baker

Sevin dust should control them. Not sure what they are. A couple of years ago, I had a lot of small (tinier than yours) brown beetles in my housing after the Martins left for the season. They were not mites, but actually a small beetle. I washed the housing out really well with a weak bleach solution, then flushed the housing with clean water and let them dry completely before putting them away for the season. I have not seen them since. Sevin would be the strongest pesticide I would use, I'm not familiar with Tempo.
Matt F.

I don't think there are any beetles and/or beetle larvae that are parasitic to birds.
If they're not bird parasitic, I'd just remove the ones you see and don't worry about it.
I definitely wouldn't apply anything like Sevin, unless you have a parasitic bug concern - like mites, blow flies, etc.