Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: 2018 1 lone nut and lots of visitors
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.
24 natural gourds on a satellite rack,9 other gourds scattered around
2-12 compartment trio houses
Rarely see a sparrow or starling,but when I do they don’t last long!
Will have a second satellite rack for the 2022 season and phase out the houses,the martins here strongly prefer natural gourds.

Ok this is one for all the seasoned landlords. So I have this neighbor three houses down,and I asked him how many babies he’s had fledge out so far. I asked because there has been a whole crowd of what appears to be young birds hanging around here I haven’t seen and aren’t mine. He said he hasn’t fledged any yet. So then we got to talking about my gourds,he has all houses. He’s really old school and closed minded and preceded to tell me how much better his 6x6 houses are because they have porches and rails and his babies can come out and stretch and flap in preparation to fledging. He then proceeded to tell me that I would loose a lot of birds because they can’t do the same in “those gourds”.and some are gonna just hit the ground and be killed by ants ,cats,etc.... I tried to explain not true. That when they are ready to fledge out of a gourd then they will jump out and fly and I bet I loose none. Well being very Old school and hard headed he wouldn’t have that. So in my opinion ,I’m right and he’s wrong. Would some of you experienced landlords elaborate on this subject for me please. I have natural gourds ,no porch but with a small perch and a canopy. I also have seen people’s set up with naturals with a hole and that’s it and fledge lots of babies. Please elaborate,and educate me. What’s best,houses or gourds?
rrmartins

Great question, looking forward to the responses. The Indians used gourds with great success. I think either is fine.
T14
10 Pair
49 Fledged
flyin-lowe

I guess there could be some good from having a porch but the downside of the 6x6 cavities outweigh the positives in my opinion. I am guessing overall there is larger clutch sizes and more survival from larger cavities then the smaller cavities. It's easy to do something the same way and to have it work. Just because it has worked doesn't mean there aren't better ways out there. I thought I read somewhere that starlings do not like to nest in those small cavities and that is the only argument for them that I have heard.
2024 HOSP count-26
2023 60+ pair, HOSP count-8
2022 60 nests with 262 eggs, HOSP count-14
2021 62 nest fledged aprox. 230, HOSP count-9
2020 42 nest, Fledged 164, HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair 14 fledged.
Spiderman

What flyin-low said is all true.

When houses have mites in one cavity, they have mites in all cavities. I Had 6X6cavities in the beginning. Some would have 5 young most would have 4. Nest cavity domination was always going on. When the young started to grow the ASY male would sleep next door.

With gourds I have clutches of 6 young and a few with 7 young each year. There is room on the inside of the Gourd for them to flap their wings. With Troyer Horizontal Gourds owls are no longer an issue. They can't reach them. I don't think the Hawk attaches are as prevalent because it doesn't usually look like there are very many birds here. Most of their time is spent inside.
Colony started in 2002

Offering 82 Troyer Horizontal Gourds

2018 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 203 MARTINS
2019 - 68 PAIR - FLEDGED 268 MARTINS
2020 - 82 PAIR - FLEDGED 392 MARTINS
2021 - 78 PAIR - FLEDGED 349 MARTINS
2022 - 76 PAIR - FLEDGED 373 MARTINS
2023 - 68 PAIR - FLEDGED 355 MARTINS

*2023 Added 2”X4” wire cages to all three Troyer Gemini Gourd Racks to deal with Great Horned Owl predation on Colony.
Brad Biddle

You will have some jumpers from gourds, regardless of what they're made from, and regardless of how big they are, when it gets really hot. I'm assuming houses would have the same effect.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 162 plastic gourds with tunnels, all with Conley II entrances with the Lewis modification. I have 24 Supergourds and the rest are Troyer Horizontals.
Spiderman

I live in Texas and we will have some 100+ Degree days before all of the Martins fledge.

I think the old wooden houses were cooler than any of the brands of plastic gourds.

I have added two 3/4" ells to the back of all of the gourds and an additional ell to the cap on some of the gourds. So far I havn't had any jumpers but when it gets above 100 degrees, I think it is just something we all will have to deal with.
Colony started in 2002

Offering 82 Troyer Horizontal Gourds

2018 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 203 MARTINS
2019 - 68 PAIR - FLEDGED 268 MARTINS
2020 - 82 PAIR - FLEDGED 392 MARTINS
2021 - 78 PAIR - FLEDGED 349 MARTINS
2022 - 76 PAIR - FLEDGED 373 MARTINS
2023 - 68 PAIR - FLEDGED 355 MARTINS

*2023 Added 2”X4” wire cages to all three Troyer Gemini Gourd Racks to deal with Great Horned Owl predation on Colony.
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: 2018 1 lone nut and lots of visitors
2019 6 pair -21fledged
2020 18 pair -60 fledged
2021......to be seen.
24 natural gourds on a satellite rack,9 other gourds scattered around
2-12 compartment trio houses
Rarely see a sparrow or starling,but when I do they don’t last long!
Will have a second satellite rack for the 2022 season and phase out the houses,the martins here strongly prefer natural gourds.

Thanks guys,I think we are all on the same page . In super high heat sumthin somewhere is gonna jump,house ,natural gourd,plastic gourd,whatever,it’s gonna happen. He was trying to tell me my birds in gourds due to the lack of a porch to “stretch” on just would bail out of the hole and hit the ground,not true. They are born flyers and except for a heat situation,when they are ready to fledge out they will bail and fly! Thanks for the replies and if anyone has additional opinions to add please do. It’s always good knowledge and insight to receive as many views as possible.

6 Pr -2019. First full year,feel fortunate!
Matt F.

Brad is correct - when it gets real hot (especially with late nests) your going to have jumpers even with aluminum houses.
Aluminum houses usually have a lot of slots, holes, spaces, etc. that allows a good amount of air to move through them, which helps.
Unfortunately those same slots and holes have a tendency to let rainwater get into the nesting compartments, which is why elevated subfloors are so important in aluminum houses.
The one thing there is no debate on, is how crowded and unsafe the Martins are in 6"X6" compartments.
Easy for a predator to reach right in, and the nest and babies are much more exposed to the elements in the small compartments.
Someone referred to houses with 6"X6" compartments one time, as "owl feeders".