Why is N.Y. so sparse?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
GFB
Martin Colony History: I Started my first colony with my father in the late 1960's. Started building custom vinyl Martin houses last year 2018 and was successful with 10 birds fledged and it looks like several dozen birds are hanging around. Time to expand.
2018: 1 T-14 and 6 gourds. Fledged 10
2019: 2 T-14's and 6 gourds. Fledged 70
2020: 2 T-14's and 6 gourds. Fledged 111
2021: 2 T-14's and 18 gourds Fledged 186
2022: 2 T-14's and 18 gourds Fledged 208

I keep looking at the scout arrival study data and can't help but notice that the state I live in is sparse compared to the other states. Is it because its not in a fly way, geography of the state, or lack of interest? I know, TAXES!
I drive around and notice martins houses here and there but know they won't get martins because it's a crappy location. The closest true colony by me is almost 5 miles away. I guess I'll just have to keep on plugging away to get the word out to get more people interested around here.
Matt F.

I think you hit on a big one - lack of interest, which of course for eastern Martins mean loss of habitat.
That, combined with 2 other big reasons:
1. house sparrows
2. starlings
In unmanaged housing (which makes up the majority of currently deployed Martin housing), Martins have no chance competing with these aggressive intruders.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Like Pennsylvania, a lot of New York is heavily wooded - making it less suitable as habitat for purple martins - I remember breeding bird atlases for both states showing what percentage of each was forested and it was a lot.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2023, 81 pair with 350 fledged youngsters. 106 total cavities available, 82 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit Iowa Purple Martin Organization on Facebook. Emails send to [email protected]. Subject line include Iowa Purple Martin.

On a similar note Louise; in Minnesota they have many trees that come right down to the lakes' shores and the numbers are not as high as in other eastern states. Kelly Applegate from Minnesota purple martin working group dabbled in the idea of putting martin housing above the water on poles that are accessible with great success. Sometimes the land and states outdoors can dictate the martin numbers.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Matt F.

[duplicate post]
Matt F.

Good point Louise.
I was thinking more along the lines of the number of Martins N.Y. has today, compared to what it had 60 years ago.
Though I have no actual data, one can probably safely surmise that N.Y. has had to deal with a similarly noticeable decline in numbers, just as as other areas along a similar latitude (southern Ontario, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.)
I’ve seen some great photos of the Lemon Creek Martin housing on Staten Island. There are a lot of volunteers that do great work there, but based on photos I’ve seen of that site, there appears to be a pretty heavy starling presence there as well.
Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Because spring weather is very difficult for insect eaters in the northeastern states in general. It takes a very strong commitment to have a colony in these areas. Low pressure systems can stall for long periods and wipe out the populations. This is another reason.
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in Western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. The colony has grown quickly to 45 pairs that I care for. Many new colonies have now sprung up around me in the past few years as well. Where there was none.... there is many.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

I'm the last known colony in central PA all the way straight north to Watkins Glenn NY. I'm, in the Appalachian Mountain range. We had a lot of small martin colonies here in my town, pre the 1972 St. Agnes flood, that wiped them all out. Old empty housing still remains in small towns all the way to the NY state line. We've driven all the way to NY looking for any housing that had martins & saw none. They didn't even have HS or starlings in them. Back in the 70's all housing was on stationary poles. Many of those houses sit, rotting away.

The massive amount of trees & lack of open spaces prevent colonies from forming. If you look at the scout map you'll see areas where there are no purple dots. Those areas are usually mountain ranges.

As Doug said spring can be hard on them here. Add in the lack of any dedicated landlords that may be willing to bundle up, go out in freezing temps, snow, rain, etc. & fed them 3 times a day until the weather finally permits them to find food on their own. I've fed martins migrating to NY state. They stop over, get fed up, spend the night & head on north at day break.

Another problem is lack of insects. Farming has changed & along with it the pesticides have killed off many insects. Fracking added to that as well, by drawing the rivers & creeks down so far that many insects weren't able to lay eggs or hatch. We've seen a big decline in insects in our area.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member