Attracting Martins in South East Mass

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hlobsta

Good morning, I'm new to the forum. I have been trying to attract PM's to my neighborhood for a very long time. I won't say how long because I think most people would have given up... One of my houses wasn't extended this year so it s about 9 ft in the air. This past weekend over 2 days(one day in afternoon, the other day in the morning) a pair visited but then I didn't see them yesterday...Now that I am writing this email, the pair just flew back. My question was and is. Could I finally have birds interested? Should I leave the house at this height since they seem to like it?I know its late for nesting, but if they hang around all summer what are the chances they return next year. Its exciting for me..I even took a video clip for posterity in case they decide to move on. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
flyin-lowe

As you said it is getting late in the season but not too late so there is hope. Did you determine if the martins you saw were adults or sub adults? It is not at all uncommon in my experience for newly arriving martins to pick a site and then not be seen for a day or two and then return to start nest building.
Do you have any pictures of your housing and the surround property... There are a lot of experience people on here who might see something you are not aware of that could help you out.
2024 HOSP count-26
2023 60+ pair, HOSP count-8
2022 60 nests with 262 eggs, HOSP count-14
2021 62 nest fledged aprox. 230, HOSP count-9
2020 42 nest, Fledged 164, HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair 14 fledged.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

It's getting late in the season for a pair to nest & lay eggs. Hatching takes 16-26 days & then another 4 weeks to fledge. It'd be end of August, early September before they'd fledge & then they need a few weeks to learn to fly, land catch bugs, etc., before heading to the roost. They spend a few weeks to a month at roost learning to fly & land in windy conditions, fatten up, etc before making migration.

Now having said that there are exceptions & some do end up with a late nest & real late fledging. I would raise your house up & see what happens. Close off any rooms you can't see from your windows. That will allow you to observe them better. Even if they don't stay & build a nest they will remember your site & could come back next year.

Best wishes...I hope they stay & you get a colony started.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Hlobsta

Thank you for replying. What would be the ideal height? I will also take some pics and post of the area . I think they are sub adults because they seem to be similar in color, not the nice purple coloring of male.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Hlobsta wrote:Thank you for replying. What would be the ideal height? I will also take some pics and post of the area . I think they are sub adults because they seem to be similar in color, not the nice purple coloring of male.
My houses are 15-16 feet in the air. I would suggest 12 foot & above, if possible.

Note: When posting photos you need to make them smaller or they won't load. I think the size is 400 x 400 pixels.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Hlobsta

Now I have another issue ..pesky sparrows..Whats the best deterrent?
[email protected]
Martin Colony History: 2016, put Troyer pole with 6 units Horizontal with Conley 11 Tunnels.
Had some visits (two sittings) last year. A visit this year 2017.

Where in South Eastern Ma. are you located?? There is a large colony located in Lakeville MA. that has been there for a number of years.

Do you have a Morning song recording going to attract the Martins???

John
[email protected]
Martin Colony History: 2016, put Troyer pole with 6 units Horizontal with Conley 11 Tunnels.
Had some visits (two sittings) last year. A visit this year 2017.

[email protected] wrote:Where in South Eastern Ma. are you located?? There is a large colony located in Lakeville MA. that has been there for a number of years.

Do you have a Morning song recording going to attract the Martins???

John
Sorry I just saw where you are located.
ToyinPA

Hlobsta wrote:Now I have another issue ..pesky sparrows..Whats the best deterrent?
Trap or shoot. The PMCA sells traps in their shop. Starlings & European House Sparrows are the only 2 birds not protected under the Federal laws, as they are not native & they take over our song birds nesting sites, kill, destroy eggs, etc. Do your best to get rid of as many as you can.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
flyin-lowe

What type of housing do you have? I have a T14 and a gourd rack and the sparrows that come around always go to the T14 first. I have a nest box insert trap for it and I catch a bunch of sparrows in it every year. They make gourd traps but I don't have one as the T14 works better. I live in an area where I can shoot so I usually get rid of more that way then trapping.
2024 HOSP count-26
2023 60+ pair, HOSP count-8
2022 60 nests with 262 eggs, HOSP count-14
2021 62 nest fledged aprox. 230, HOSP count-9
2020 42 nest, Fledged 164, HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair 14 fledged.
Hlobsta

I have a m12K . I have had this house for a very long time. I also have gourds but no birds are interested. I think I need to update because I see improvements on houses...
Hlobsta

Well, I thought I'd update. I haven't seen the pair at all since my last post. I raised my house, destroyed the sparrow nest and closed up the compartments,,Those pesky sparrows are annoying and persistent. I did find out that there is a colony may 15 miles away from me in Rochester, MA. So I'm hoping for next year...
-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Hlobsta wrote:Well, I thought I'd update. I haven't seen the pair at all since my last post. I raised my house, destroyed the sparrow nest and closed up the compartments,,Those pesky sparrows are annoying and persistent. I did find out that there is a colony may 15 miles away from me in Rochester, MA. So I'm hoping for next year...
I feel for you. I tried unsuccessfully to attract Martins for 3 years. I did have visitors but nobody stayed. This year (year 4) I was thinking about quitting and almost didn't put up the pole. Sure enough Martins started nesting. I think we'll all be pondering how to improve our sites all winter. :wink:
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard
Martin man RI

Purple Martin is staging a major come back in many area's of New England Threw out Cape Cod to many area's out side of
Boston. There is a colony only few air miles away in Rochester,Middleboro,lakevilee to name a few. Invest in Starling resistant troyer gourds. If your yard is open enough? If not find a local golf club that will bring in Martins twice as fast
any area along the ocean to would be helpful. The old style Aluminum houses are technology of the 1960's I manage
over 200 pairs of Martins most all in Plastic gourds. Most people in New England have done the same. If you keep the aluminum house make it a six unit house cut the inside wall and add Crescent trio door to it that will make it more attractive.
They become very common in CT and RI and South Eastern MA. No reason you cannot get them. The right gourds will bring them in. It used to be about location but in Southern New England there nesting almost any place with gourds. Houses were always the last to fill and never popular with Martins give them a choice and they will take gourds over any aluminum House.

Ray