Success Story in Delaware

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

What a great year here in coastal Delaware. Tons of martins fledging all over the place. At times they look like autumn leaves caught up in a windstorm. Beautiful and exciting. For a change we had pretty much an idea season with only one day 95 or above, no real blowing rainstorms (just downpours at night - straight down) and no real cold early Spring temps. My only real problem this year was the increase in the HS population. I trapped around 30 with most of them male HS. I did lose two nests full of eggs to male HS but after I successfully trapped the pests one of the pair laid another clutch and is now feeding a late brood. I managed 34 condos (MSS-8's and 12's) here in my yard and at two satellite sites. I did catch a ratsnake in the snake netting at one of my satellite sites. Before we know it the martins will be heading back to South America. Times flies.

Carl
Martin man RI

Hi Carlton
If a snake is trapped and is dead or alive in the netting will the martins
continue to nest or abandon the site all together? I have used it with bluebirds and they continue to feed there young and its no problem. The snakes are only bones by the time i show up to cut them away. I think vultures and animals feed on them once dead.

Thanks Ray
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

My martins seemed to know the snake was no longer a threat. Did not bother them as he decayed.
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Carlton, congratulations on what sounds like a great year!

You have really been a great advocate for martins in both Delaware and Florida.

Keep it up.

Bill
Martin man RI

Thank You! I feel much better knowing that.

--Ray
Carlton

Thank you Bill