Martins are special report from New England

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Martin man RI

With the recent rains in the last few weeks I have minor losses. But i did
loss two adults with young from two nests. One a female the other male. They are both now single parents and feeding chicks. One nest two young the other
one chick. I was so happy to see the parents feeding them. No major losses
of chicks in the northeast. Many of mine will fledge in the next few weeks.
Barrington RI 96 pairs Westerly RI 36 pairs Rehoboth MA 92 pairs (This site gained around 35 new pairs)

My fingers are crossed like everyone else for good weather.
Take care and enjoy your Martins!

Ray
eyeamtheman
Martin Colony History: Super colony

What happened to the adults?
Johnny
Martin man RI

They probably died of old age. I checked 12 more gourds today and all chicks
were in great shape. I don't feel we were hit by the harsh weather as bad as my neighbors to the far west. It rained but at night mostly. I would be depressed for months to find gourds filled with dead chicks cannot imagine disaster and feel for the landlord. The highest elevation maybe 60 feet max
makes a world of a difference. Had a site 300 foot elevation the martins
would have one problem after another happy i gave that site up. The lower elevation makes a big difference. In northern states.

Ray
Petermcc~Canada

Hi Ray, I am wonderng when you lose a parent martin like that, have you ever considered taking one or two of the single parent nestlings and placing them in another compartment with two parents? That could ease the burden on the single parent martin.

I did that once with tree swallows. The mother died overnight while on the nest. I had several other tree swallow boxes and took her 4 young and deposited them individually into other boxess. Most of the nestlings in all of the boxes were the same age, so it all worked out well with all the nestlings surviving and fledging.
Martin man RI

Hi Peter
I have done the same thing and moved chicks. Only if they are not getting attention from parents. Thanks for all the information. The first of my
birds will fledge now. Has been a great season here. I hope some of mine yearlings make it to your location next year.

Ray
twins

i have two pair nesting now up in eastwakefield nh seems to be alot of dragon flys on the lake for them there just hatching up here they always hatch around this time all the tree swollows have left so now i get to watch the martins feed there young
anybody in NH doing purple martin watching and doing house,s and gourds
Petermcc~Canada

Hi Ray,
Yesterday, I checked the larger of the only 2 remaining colonies in NB. There are 14 active nests in the colony, The oldest young are about 3 weeks old. It seems there are 30 adults, 18 ASY and 12 SY (2 non-breeding). This colony appears to be thriving....3 houses on winches, all SREH with total of 36 compartments.

The only other remaining colony in NB is the old style, round hole, fixed on posts. it has 6-10 pairs and the colony seems to be in slow decline.

Ray do you find that northern martins prefer to nest in the south and south west facing compartments? It appears to be the trend here.

The encouraging aspect of our NB martins is there is other updated housing available within several kilometres of the larger colony in Queenstown.

Congratulations on all your success this year!
Peter