The Indestructible Super Gourd

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Steve Kroenke

The Indestructible Super Gourd

I remember many years ago when the first Super Gourds were offered for sale through the PMCA. I bought a bunch of them about 15 or more years ago I believe.

Well 15 years later those Super Gourds are almost as good as new though they have been OUTSIDE all this time at my previous home in north Florida and now in northwest Louisiana. And it gets HOT with plenty of sunlight down here in Dixie! My gourds have faced triple digit temperatures and numerous days of intense sunlight with its potentially plastic damaging UV rays. The structural integrity of the plastic is still intact and there are no cracks/crumbling or evidence of damage from the sunlight to the gourd walls. Only the old plastic access lids have been adversely impacted by sunlight and weathering. Now there are newer plastic access lids which are thicker and much better able to withstand the UV rays from the sunlight.

I still like my old Super Gourds a lot and so do the martins. Every season my Super Gourds are nearly 100% occupied by martins and fledge just as many babies as my other gourds such as the Troyer Horizontal and Vertical and the Excluder. The Troyer gourds with their tunnels and the Excluders with their outside/inside porches are outstanding gourds. But my old “boring” Super Gourds are just as attractive to the martins and numerous babies have been successfully raised in them. And if you like, you can “accessorize” Super Gourds with venting and porches/tunnels. I have vented all my Super Gourds and may add some porches for the 2014 martin season.

Of course, the white plastic surface may become weathered over time particularly as mildew/mold grows on it. But I can usually keep most of that off with a good cleaning and it is good to do this annually before the martin season begins. Right now I do need to clean the outside surface of ALL my plastic gourds as many are covered with martin droppings and green mold has started growing!

The Super Gourd was probably the first high quality commercial plastic gourd available to the public. Now there are other outstanding examples such as the Troyer Horizontal and Vertical and Excluder all of which are constructed from good quality plastic and have UV inhibitors to withstand the damaging UV rays. So far all these other gourds in my colony are doing great and I have seen no problems with sunlight damage to the plastic. Only the older plastic access lids have eventually shown cracks and crumbling due to sunlight damage. For next year I plan to change out many of my old lids with the newer thick ones.

I don’t know how long high quality plastic like that found in the Super Gourd can withstand the onslaught of UV rays over a long period of time. Like I mentioned, my Super Gourds are still going strong after about 15 years of relentless UV attacks! The best approach folks should take is to store their plastic gourds after the martins leave in a building or out of the weather. I now have a place to keep my several hundred plastic gourds and I need to just DO IT! Maybe this year!

Steve
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season
~Ray~Gingerich

Mine are about 14 years old and still in good condition. I added tunnels to all my round hole supergourds, less trouble with SY males pulling the young out.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
Gary-La
Martin Colony History: 102 nesting pair

Wow, I can't believe it's been that long since SuperGourds were first introduced! I bought over 30 SGs back then and have since converted them with porches and crescents. They do mildew/mold over every year but a good spraying with a clorox/water solution brings them back to life.

The SGs have held up good and the PMs love them.
Steve Kroenke

Hey Ray/Gary,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the indestructible Super Gourd!

Super Gourds can be modified as necessary and I have done "facelifts" on some of mine in the past. I have even attached PVC couplers to the fronts to create narrow tunnels that either pointed downward or to the side. Martins nested in all of them.

Yes, it has been a long time since the Super Gourd was first introduced! Of course, now the Super Gourd has a lot more competition from other high quality gourds like the Troyer and Excluder designs. However, in terms of durability, the Super Gourd is at the top of the list!

You have shown that Super Gourds can be modified with porches, srehs and tunnels. So Super Gourds are versatile.

I believe there is now a new access lid specially made for the Super Gourd. The old lids may eventually deteriorate due to UV damage and have some right now that need to be replaced.

I also clean mine with a water/bleach potion which can turn a dingy looking Super Gourd sparkling white! I need to get busy!

Steve
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2023, 81 pair with 350 fledged youngsters. 106 total cavities available, 82 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit Iowa Purple Martin Organization on Facebook. Emails send to [email protected]. Subject line include Iowa Purple Martin.

I have a variety of gourds and metal houses and I'm amazed at how well the super gourds hold up over the years.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Martin man RI

Super gourds do well outside even in the northeast. And cover with snow
for weeks. I have one rack on a private farm and the gourds have been outside since 2004 all 18 of them. The other sites there stored away.
They show no damage from the cold and snow. Worth while investment
and they will probably be around longer than me. Replaced the caps in
the spring. So one less worry.

Ray
CurtWelling

My supergourds are about 13 years old and still in great shape. Like you say, they do need new caps after a while.

But I also have to say that my S-K Big Bo gourds are also in great shape and the caps are holding up well, too. The porches have broken off but the main gourd and cap are "like new".
Curt Welling
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

I think that some of the first BigBo and Supergourds used still are in excellent shape. I today use some BigBo gourds that didn't have access holes (but I added access holes later), the entrance was round, it slid in and out, and it was used as an access hole. Those gourds are just like new, as are the very first Supergourds. They clean easily, and do not require any paint or polish
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Ladybug
Martin Colony History: 2005-2019. Lots lookers, 2 successful nesting's.
2010-1 pair nested, 4 eggs destroyed(Wren).
2012- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged
2019- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged.
2021- 10 pair, 40 babies fledged.
2022- 17 pair, 10 eggs not hatched= appxy. 57 fledged.

I bought 8 Super Gourds almost 20 years ago, they are still in excellent condition.
I always clean them Good each fall and store them in the garage.
The Martins do love them. I also offer 12 Large Natural Gourds, and 1 aluminum House.
Hoping for a good PM season in 2014.
Thanks everyone for ALL THE GREAT USEFUL INFORMATION.
PMCA Member. Joanne
Joanne
birdman1969

really an amazing product. my parents gourds are now in their 13 season and still look brand new.
Matt F.

Great product indeed.
Would love to start seeing them come with wing-entrapment protectors, on the crescent models.
That one feature alone, is what led me to go with the Troyer gourds.