Troyer Vertical Gourds - advice on ventilation requested

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bulldog1

Are the mini-canopies sufficient for ventilation in the deep south? I have PVC elbows on my existing Super Gourds, but I am expanding from 12 up to 18 by adding 6 Troyer Vertical Gourds for some variety.
PMCA member
2015 - 18 Gourds offered - 12 active nests, 62 eggs, 51 fledged
2014 - 18 gourds offered - 12 active nests, 52 eggs, 48 fledged
2013 - 12 gourds offered - 9 pairs, 56 eggs, 52 hatched, 49 fledged
2012 - 12 gourds offered -4 pairs, 20 eggs, 19 fledged
2011 - 6 gourds offered -1 pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged !!!!
John Miller

Seems like four small holes would be adequate ventilation for Mississippi. In Texas, Oklahoma and maybe and the Midwest where temps can reach 105 while there are still babies in there, more ventilation may be helpful. However, I suspect at 100-plus temps that shade panels would be much more beneficial than vents. ....I don't charge for my engineering opinions, but that's what I've been thinking. I think Steve Kroenke says the factory vents are good enough for Louisiana.

John M
klcretired

I sent you an email Bulldog1 w/ Pictures explaining how i vent all my gourds using 3/4" screw in 90 Degree Elbo's which help alot
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2022 to everyone,

K.C.

[email protected]
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

OK Guys, what about the Troyer Horizontal gourds? I have read that they have mini canopies also, that they need to be drilled, but not sure where that is...

Also I would appreciate seeing the elbow vent engineering info also, as it does get over 100 here in SW MO. I'm quite certain that the THGs don't have the ventilation that my Trendsetter has, and this would surely be a beneficial improvement.

Thanks!
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
daveh

I've got around 10 Troyer verticals with all vents drilled out with 1/4 inch bit. I didn't lose any birds last year in them during the 98-100 degree plus season. It was really hot. I do have a slight breeze most the time. I did not shade anything last year.

dave
PMCA member
klcretired

MamaBruff
email me and i will send you instructions & Pictures on how to vent the Vertical & HZ Troyers, my email is at the bottom of this message.
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2022 to everyone,

K.C.

[email protected]
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.

This looks like the previously mentioned vent canopies on the THG that need to be drilled open for venting... I could definitely see how the cross ventilation could make this a much more comfortable gourd. Daveh used a 1/4" bit for his vertical vent canopies, so I may just do the same for my horizontals. (I had no idea the gourds needed this done when they arrived)
~Mary B~

daveh

Mary, when you drill make sure the bit is slanted up some. That way rainshould shed away fromthe opening. Also the verticals have 4 canapies around the neck. It looks like the horizontals only have 2. I don't have any horizontals and maybe someone will chime in that does. Maybe a larger bit for those, I dunno.

dave
PMCA member
Martin man RI

I drilled out all my gourd vents and the birds seemed much cooler and
no condensation. Its a must in southern states. Condensation is the issue
in northern states. Think about it 5-7 chicks in the mid day sun the poor
things must over heat. Once you vent the gourds you wish you had done
it sooner the birds love the extra air flow. The troyers never should have sold them with out the vents opened already. Mistake on there part. I have vented so many that were sold in my community. Some people dont have drills too. But i could allow the birds to over heat in gourds i have set up
I felt bad and drill out the gourds for some landlords. Its a must.

Ray
MamaBruff

Thanks guys! I want to get everything ready as I put away for winter, then there isn't a last minute panic in the spring! I have learned so much already this first year. You guys and all the other wonderful landlords have been so kind to share your wisdom here on the forum! Applause!
~Mary B~

bluetick

I didn't drill my THG's out this year but this week end I drilled one out under the canopies and I didn't like the way it looked so I went up about an inch higher right in the middle under the hanging rod and drilled and taped all of mine and put the threaded 1/2 elbow in and then caulked around it with Lexel. I liked the elbows better.
Matt F.

Did anyone notice that Mary's THG is smiling? :lol:
MamaBruff

You are too funny! Of course my gourd is smiling; anything to make the PMs think my site is friendly and happy! Now just wait until I get those hot rod space pod elbows installed... :lol:
~Mary B~