Nestling & fledgling martin deaths

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Sad to say, the PMCA is receiving reports of dead nestlings and fledge age martins from many states—MN, IL, MI, OH, PA, to name some. We believe the deaths are mostly due to recent cold, rainy weather that made feeding difficult. PMCA's bio-tech Bob Aeppli found a total of 12 dead young at our Presque Isle SP sites yesterday - some of them had fledged, but didn't survive the transition to becoming independent, they were found in cavities that were previously empty.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Louise:

I have noticed a major lack of bugs this year. It's only been the last few days that I saw dragonflies being brought in. Even at that my colony is still accepting crickets at night when they come in. Parents are also feeding fledged chicks crickets. They wouldn't accept them if they were able to find enough to eat.

My colony showed up very hungry this year & have been accepting crickets ever since. Up until a few days ago chicks were being feed any bugs they could find, most of those bugs were on the small side. Many chicks dehydrated during our heatwave. I lost 9 chicks in 2 days during that time. Parents stopped feeding, probably because they couldn't find enough bugs.

Could this lack of bugs be due to global warming? Pesticides? Gas drilling, which is affecting the levels of the rivers/creeks, etc, where many bugs hatch out?

I even have Robins looking for any crickets the martins miss. We've had rain, but it's mostly been pouring/run off rain. Worms go deep when the ground gets dry. I saw a Robin try to feed a chick, only a week old, a red berry. The chick spit it out.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
StillwaterMartins

This is the first in since 2009 that we've had Purple Martins nesting at our site. We've had 6 SY purple martins hanging around but only 4 of them paired up. They each laid 5 eggs, and all 5 hatched. They are all just about to fledge. (Keeping fingers crossed.)

My question is actually regarding bugs. We've seen quite a few dragon flies, but we did have 1 day with all rain last week, and so far a few days with cloudy cooler than average weather (low 70's). What are the chances that are nestlings are going to all fledge and survive? Are there going to be enough bugs to feed everyone?

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge regarding food for these little ones.

I'm pretty sure they are not all going to make it, but I would be pretty upset to find a few of them dead in the houses or around the area.
Two SY Pair, two SY unpaired
10 Eggs, 10 Hatched, 10 Fledged
PMCA Member
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Low 70s should be okay for feeding UNLESS it's also rainy or windy. When you check nests, you can eyeball the nestlings and see if they look good. Skin on belly should not be dry and wrinkled up, it should be pink and filled out.

If in doubt, put some dead crickets or live mealworms on porches for the parents to use - mealworms need to go in small container so they can't crawl away, and the container needs to be fastened so it won't tip over.

Let us know how everything goes -
StillwaterMartins

Thanks Louise,

It's been pretty calm, and the nestlings close to fledging. We had one go this morning, and the other 10 are set to go over the next week. When we did the last nest check a week ago, they all looked fat, healthy and happy. Hopefully they will stay that way.

It is supposed be around 80 degrees and relatively sunny for the next week or more, so I think we are okay.
Two SY Pair, two SY unpaired
10 Eggs, 10 Hatched, 10 Fledged
PMCA Member
Martin man RI

Same thing here a few runts found on the ground 4. Tried to save but to
weak after being in the sun for hours. I look daily. The last of my birds will
fledge 08/09 happy to see the season end its very stressful at times.
It seems bug supply's are low from what ever the reason takes birds a while to find a bug and bring them back almost 40 mins. And we have had perfect weather and plenty of moisture. The loss of less than five chicks
not a big deal. I will enjoy the last ones.

Ray
RJM

My season was the complete opposite. Lots of bugs and only 1 loss. Final fledged last week. No global warming in my neck of the woods.
Trying since 2006, started hosting in 2012
T14 with 4 THG and 4 modified SG's
Gourd rack with 3 TVG's and 3 modified SG's
Dennis D

Toy you have conditioned your martins to eating what YOU provide. How would you know they would not eat crickets if they could find enough bugs on their own? I think you may be conditioning them to not be able to take care of themselves by feeding them when it is not needed.
Dennis D
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Oh Dennis D, no no no. Supplementing doesn't condition them to not naturally hunt on their own. If it did they would sit there like fat couch potatoes and have no need to fly. Well maybe for a drink.

Out here in the Midwest we have had ample rain and bugs. Not so the past two summers. I would place a pile just like Louise said and I watched the adults feed and take them in to their young. It was over 100 for 30+ days consecutive and I also misted and ice packed cavities. I did not lose one baby. Had I not I would have.

This year my first birds arrived late March and April. We had three ice and snow storms after. I tried flipping and had success! It was one of the best experiences I have had with my birds. You really feel close to them. I felt guilty reading how others were so desperate to supplement feed and their birds just weren't getting the hang of it. Unfortunately several birds succumbed to conditions.

I am home and able to make it work for my birds. Some cannot. But I am just like Toy if I even think they need some help, I'm gonna do it. She is right when they are well fed they don't accept the supplementing. I have seen that happen as well. Waste of some good crickets. :)

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
lynnh

Due to chilly damp weather early this week my colony went through ten dozen eggs and several thousand crickets. Many of my HY birds are already trained to supplemental feed platform and or flipped. :) Lynn.
2007 2 pair 8 fledged
2008 4 pair 18 fledged
2009 21 pair 87 fledged
2010 44 pair 174 fledged
2011 68 pair 244 fledged
2012 82 pair 364 fledged
2013 82 pair 359 fledged
2014 86 pair 415 fledged
2015 101 pair 427 fledged
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

That is great, Lynn! I went out on cloudy rainy days a couple of times in the past week or so. Mostly to play on my part but to introduce SY's that weren't here in April and my HY's to flipping. They weren't rambunctious but a few caught. The others sure watched. I just want to keep them conditioned to feeding if a calamity happens. Plus again as I said...it's fun.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
~Ray~Gingerich

I found some like that after a crop duster flew around spraying the corn fields
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

There have been many disease possibilities looked into in different areas- west nile virus, salmonella, avian pox, and others. The wet cool weather in many states may have played a role too, with stressed birds more vulnerable to problems. I hope we'll have more information later on.